Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Robo-baby contraception attempt leads to increase in teen pregnancy rates

Robo-baby contraception attempt leads to increase in teen pregnancy rates

http://www.cnet.com/news/robo-babies...egnancy-rates/

Around the world, technology is being deployed as a tool to try to teach girls to use contraception. More specifically, a program using an "infant simulator" (or robotic baby) is used to teach teen girls about the harsh realities of motherhood. Over the last decade, the use of this program has exploded -- it's now in 89 countries.

But a
    new study published today in The Lancet reveals that the robo-babies aren't working as hoped.
    A study that followed 2,834 girls from 57 randomly selected schools in the state of Western Australia found that girls who participated in this program had significantly higher rates of pregnancy.
    Oops....

"The cure for teenage pregnancy is more difficult than a magic doll," wrote Julie A Quinlivan of the University of Notre Dame's Institute of Health Research in a comment for The Lancet. "We have to address both mothers and fathers. Programmes need to start in infancy. Investment in vulnerable children is needed to entice these adolescents from the path of premature parenthood into brighter futures. We cannot afford the quick fix, especially when it doesn't work."
    But, we love our quick fixes that "should" work. Maybe it just needs more funding....

It is ridiculous how many programs are implemented in schools without being tested scientifically first.

Biology is a funny thing. Teenage young women have been having babies for a really, really long time, and it's a pretty new idea that it's the end of the fucking world when it happens. When I was in high school one of the health classes had a robo-baby they passed around. I wasn't in the class, but I had friends who were and who took turns with the baby. It's very interesting - even though I knew full well it's just a computer program, when it cried I felt a real urge to hold it and pat its back. Looking back, that kind of makes me wonder if having the baby to care for triggers a biological urge the majority of us have. It can also give feelings of competence.

This is strictly anecdotal... in my experience, having a high school girl babysit a needy pre-teen younger sister worked better than any robo-baby.

Did the programs select girls at risk? That might lead to skewed stats.

I didn't need a robo baby to convince me as a teen, I had an older sister with two real kids before she was 18.

You know what works? Free long acting reversible birth control. Proven. Safe. But hey, why fund it?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/06/sc...cess.html?_r=0

Let's take a trip to the stars Steffy's Avatar
    My daughter had to carry around a fake baby for a weekend in...11th grade, I think it was, for her health class. It was a part of a larger unit on STDs, birth control, etc.

In her case, it worked. She wasn't able to take a shower, eat breakfast, or do a battleground on WoW without the damn thing screaming.

Several of her peers have babies, though. At least 5 or 6 that I can think of right away. One has twins. In some cases, they are continuing the cycle, and it's all that they know.

Let's take a trip to the stars Steffy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by coachgrrl View Post
    You know what works? Free long acting reversible birth control. Proven. Safe. But hey, why fund it?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/06/sc...cess.html?_r=0
    Yep.

My kids carried around a bag of flour. I thought it was stupid.

I'm with CG. Let's work on birth control!

Mallory had to take care of a robo-baby in the 8th grade. It didn't make it through the first night. But it wasn't her fault! The battery pack malfunctioned. I wasn't sad that fake baby Hazel wasn't crying all weekend.

I also agree with cg.
    Kim

There's a boy here in town says he'll love me forever
    Who would have thought forever could be severed by
    The sharp knife of a short life
    ~The Band Perry