Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Atheism and Stephen Fry

I'm just here for the lulz. Sarsparilla's Avatar
    Well, sure. But I had 7 weeks of practice using the language Christians use!
    Welcome to Fluffytown. No smoking, no farting, no pillow fights.

Quote Originally Posted by puddleglum View Post
    We were created by God to serve and glorify him. If we had fulfilled our purpose our lives would have been totally happy. We have rejected all right to happiness and life by refusing to obey God. However God has made a way we can still have the life we have rejected. Jesus was sent by God to die as a sacrifice to pay for our sins. Anyone who acknowledges his sin and puts his faith in Jesus will be forgiven and have eternal life. Followers of Jesus may have to suffer during this life but these sufferings are intended by God to bring about spiritual maturity. Whatever suffering Christians endure in this life will be more than made up for in the next life.
    For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.
    (2 Corinthians 4:17-18 ESV)

God is only the father of those who have been reborn by faith in Jesus. If you put your faith in him you will have eternal happiness and no longer need to fear condemnation.
    No thanks. I could never accept that thinking. It's horrible and cruel and I want no part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by puddleglum View Post

God is only the father of those who have been reborn by faith in Jesus. If you put your faith in him you will have eternal happiness and no longer need to fear condemnation.
    I don't fear condemnation now. and Eternal happiness isn't even on my radar as something worthwhile. No thanks, I'll take the here and now and the roller coaster of normal human life.

Feminist since age three! Marian Paroo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoyW View Post
    I recently saw this year-old interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-suvkwNYSQo

Stephen Fry says if there is a God, he/she is a selfish maniac. Do you agree or disagree with his assertions and arguments?

Pretty much.

Though I tend to use Faulkner's "Cosmic Joker" or the Yiddish "Old Trickster"