Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Atheism and Stephen Fry

Organized religion is an excellent way to usurp power, keep control over the population, and keep ancient people from killing themselves stupidly (not cooking the bacteria out of pork.)

Nowadays it's mostly money making, land owning and power.

Quote Originally Posted by Mare View Post
    This is absolutely horrifying. We deserve eternal condemnation? Why? Just for being? Not the God I want in my life. New children make up for ones killed? Also disgusting.
    We were created by God to serve and glorify him. If we had fulfilled our purpose our lives would have been totally happy. We have rejected all right to happiness and life by refusing to obey God. However God has made a way we can still have the life we have rejected. Jesus was sent by God to die as a sacrifice to pay for our sins. Anyone who acknowledges his sin and puts his faith in Jesus will be forgiven and have eternal life. Followers of Jesus may have to suffer during this life but these sufferings are intended by God to bring about spiritual maturity. Whatever suffering Christians endure in this life will be more than made up for in the next life.

For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.
    (2 Corinthians 4:17-18 ESV)

Quote Originally Posted by Ebraday View Post
    I refuse to believe in a God who thinks we have no right to happiness and only eternal condemnation. What kind of "father" wants that for his children?
    God is only the father of those who have been reborn by faith in Jesus. If you put your faith in him you will have eternal happiness and no longer need to fear condemnation.
    I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
    blog

Quote Originally Posted by puddleglum View Post
    God is only the father of those who have been reborn by faith in Jesus.
    Really? So Jews are what, according to you?

Honestly, if this way of living makes you happy, all the power to you. But you're really missing out on so much.

This is the only life we are guaranteed to have. The one we're living right now. If you are wrong about Christianity being the "right" religion and that you have another life after this, then you've squandered what could be a very fulfilling life. I find that so incredibly sad. Really, I do. My life has never been better since I stopped trying to figure out what some nebulous god wants me to do and what my purpose here is.

Here is a post I just read on a forum called Christforums.org.

The Long Silence
    At the end of time, billions of people were scattered on a great plain before God's throne. Most shrank back from the brilliant light before them. But some groups near the front talked heatedly - not with cringing shame, but with belligerence.

"Can God judge us? How can he know about suffering?" Snapped a pert young brunette. He ripped open a sleeve to reveal a tattooed number from a Nazi Concentration Camp. "We endured terror ... beatings ... torture ... death!"

In another group a Negro boy lowered his collar. "What about this?" he demanded, showing an ugly rope burn. "Lynched for no crime but being black!"

In another crowd, a pregnant schoolgirl with sullen eyes. "Why should I suffer?" She murmured. "It wasn't my fault."

Far out across the plain were hundreds of such groups. Each had a complaint against God for the evil and suffering he had permitted in the world. How lucky God was to live in heaven where all was sweetness and light, where there was no weeping or fear, no hunger or hatred. What did God know of all that men had been forced to endure in this world? For God leads a pretty sheltered life, they said.

So each of these groups sent forth their leader, chosen because they had suffered the most. A Jew, a person from Hiroshima, a horribly deformed arthritic, and a thalidomide child.

In the centre of the plain they consulted with each other. At last they were ready to present their case. It was rather clever. Before God could be qualified to be their judge, he must endure what they had endured. Their decision was that God should be sentenced to live on earth - as a man!

Let him be born a Jew. Let the legitimacy of the birth be doubted.
    Give him a work so difficult that even his family will think him out of his mind when he tries to do it.
    Let him be betrayed by his closest friends.
    Let him face false charges, be tried by a prejudiced jury and convicted by a cowardly judge.
    Let him be tortured.
    At the last, let him see what it means to be terribly alone.
    Then let him die, and so that there can be no doubt that he died, let there be a great host of witnesses to verify it.

As each leader announced his portion of the sentence, loud murmurs of approval went up from the throng of people assembled. When the last had finished pronouncing sentence, there was a long silence. Nobody uttered another word. No one moved.

For suddenly all knew that God had already served his sentence.
    I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
    blog

Some more stuff I read online.

Jesus as a Reincarnation of Mithra

The Vatican was built upon the grounds previously devoted to the worship of Mithra (also known as Mithras) (600 B.C.). The Orthodox Christian hierarchy is nearly identical to the Mithraic version. Virtually all of the elements of Orthodox Christian rituals, from miter, wafer, water baptism, alter, and doxology, were adopted from the Mithra and earlier pagan mystery religions. The religion of Mithra preceded Christianity by roughly six hundred years. Mithraic worship at one time covered a large portion of the ancient world. It flourished as late as the second century. The Messianic idea originated in ancient Persia and this is where the Jewish and Christian concepts of a Savior came from. Mithra, as the sun god of ancient Persia, had the following karmic similarities with Jesus:
    http://freethoughtpedia.com/wiki/Jesus_and_Mithra

"Both Mithras and Christ were described variously as 'the Way,' 'the Truth,' 'the Light,' 'the Life,' 'the Word,' 'the Son of God,' 'the Good Shepherd.' The Christian litany to Jesus could easily be an allegorical litany to the sun-god. Mithras is often represented as carrying a lamb on his shoulders, just as Jesus is. Midnight services were found in both religions. The virgin mother...was easily merged with the virgin mother Mary. Petra, the sacred rock of Mithraism, became Peter, the foundation of the Christian Church."

Thus, the following list represents not a solidified mythos or narrative of one particular Mithra or form of the god as developed in one particular culture and era but, rather, a combination of them all for ease of reference as to any possible influences upon Christianity under the name of Mitra/Mithra/Mithras.
    Mithra has the following in common with the Jesus character:

• Mithra was born on December 25th of the virgin Anahita.
    • The babe was wrapped in swaddling clothes, placed in a manger and attended by shepherds.
    • He was considered a great traveling teacher and master.
    • He had 12 companions or "disciples."
    • He performed miracles.
    • As the "great bull of the Sun," Mithra sacrificed himself for world peace.
    • He ascended to heaven.
    • Mithra was viewed as the Good Shepherd, the "Way, the Truth and the Light," the Redeemer, the Savior, the Messiah.
    • Mithra is omniscient, as he "hears all, sees all, knows all: none can deceive him."
    • He was identified with both the Lion and the Lamb.
    • His sacred day was Sunday, "the Lord's Day," hundreds of years before the appearance of Christ.
    • His religion had a eucharist or "Lord's Supper."
    • Mithra "sets his marks on the foreheads of his soldiers."
    • Mithraism emphasized baptism.
    http://www.truthbeknown.com/mithra.htm

Wait. He got more children so what's the harm? I hope you don't lose anyone close to you. That's horrific.

I'm just here for the lulz. Sarsparilla's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jen View Post
    Wait. He got more children so what's the harm? I hope you don't lose anyone close to you. That's horrific.
    In my recent class, we did a very close reading of Job and I was horrified all over again at what God did to him. If the story of Job was a novel, God would be a very villainous character.
    Welcome to Fluffytown. No smoking, no farting, no pillow fights.

If you bring the monkey, I'm leaving puppylove's Avatar
    On my 33 acres in Virginia! (Thank you Sars for the reminder) ;)
    If the whole bible was a novel ...
    -Donna- People first. Dogs second. Things last.

http://countdowntoasimplerlife.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by puppylove View Post
    If the whole bible was a novel ...
    Wait...