Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Opk and your responsibility

By the time I was 15 I was out and about with friends. I had a 1 AM curfew on weekends as I recall. My mom had no idea whether I was walking riding or anything. And by then I don't recall much parental involvement in friend transportation.

And today I am pretty sure you can can walk around my town at any hour of night and no one cares.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaena View Post
    By the time I was 15 I was out and about with friends. I had a 1 AM curfew on weekends as I recall. My mom had no idea whether I was walking riding or anything. And by then I don't recall much parental involvement in friend transportation.

And today I am pretty sure you can can walk around my town at any hour of night and no one cares.
    Yeah, I've never lived anywhere that had a curfew. And I'd never want to.

We have a teen driving curfew but that's it

Premier Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by purplekitty View Post
    Yeah, I've never lived anywhere that had a curfew. And I'd never want to.
    It's actually fairly common around here. Ours is 11pm-5am. Kids 16 and under have to be accompanied by an adult during those times unless they are at/on their way home from a school function or work.
    "You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace."

Countdown the the End of An Error

Quote Originally Posted by justthinking View Post
    It's actually fairly common around here. Ours is 11pm-5am. Kids 16 and under have to be accompanied by an adult during those times unless they are at/on their way home from a school function or work.
    See that is a DRIVING restriction on 16 year olds in my state. I am fine with that. But not for a general curfew.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaena View Post
    See that is a DRIVING restriction on 16 year olds in my state. I am fine with that. But not for a general curfew.
    We have different types of licenses based on experience and/or age that is like this. I'm fine with that too because it's more about safety driving this several thousand pound vehicle until you get enough experience, and not about whether or not the kid is out at a certain time.

I don't consider that a curfew.

Quote Originally Posted by purplekitty View Post
    We have different types of licenses based on experience and/or age that is like this. I'm fine with that too because it's more about safety driving this several thousand pound vehicle until you get enough experience, and not about whether or not the kid is out at a certain time.

I don't consider that a curfew.
    Exactly. In BC, where dd got her licence, the restrictions on time of day were for new drivers of any age, not just teenagers.

I'd not be pleased if I lived in a city that brought in a curfew for some people based on age. When dd was a teenager one summer she worked overnights at Home Depot, and came and went at all sorts of hours. Not the town's business why she's out, it was ours as her parents.

Premier Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Nansel View Post
    Exactly. In BC, where dd got her licence, the restrictions on time of day were for new drivers of any age, not just teenagers.

I'd not be pleased if I lived in a city that brought in a curfew for some people based on age. When dd was a teenager one summer she worked overnights at Home Depot, and came and went at all sorts of hours. Not the town's business why she's out, it was ours as her parents.
    But the curfew doesn't apply to kids going to and from jobs. It is more to keep piles of kids from hanging out in parks all night.

Quote Originally Posted by justthinking View Post
    But the curfew doesn't apply to kids going to and from jobs. It is more to keep piles of kids from hanging out in parks all night.
    But how do the cops know why a kid is out without stopping them? There must be a lot of harassing of kids who are legitimately out. Not to mention that the cop has to believe the kid. Or do they have to carry ID cards explaining why they are outdoors in their own town?

Premier Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Nansel View Post
    But how do the cops know why a kid is out without stopping them? There must be a lot of harassing of kids who are legitimately out. Not to mention that the cop has to believe the kid. Or do they have to carry ID cards explaining why they are outdoors in their own town?
    I think it primarily gives authorities leverage to send groups of kids home if they are out and about being loud late at night.