Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opk and your responsibility

Opk and your responsibility

A 16 year old comes to your house to visit your teen. This kid doesn't drive, and yours cannot drive non family members for another 6 months (law).

Teen lives about 2 to 3 miles from you and despite your offer to drive, teen rides a bike to your house and stays until midnight.

Are you ok with letting the kid ride home? What if you know the teen's parents are ok with it? Does gender matter at all?

I would offer the kid a ride home. If they said no thank you, then I'd let them ride their bike.

When E is out at a friend's late then he will text us to come get him. If someone is here then we offer them a ride or they get one from their parent.

Ultimately, the parents are responsible for their own kid, not me

What Sprockey said.

What Sprock and PK said.

What Sprock said. Although my kid would likely be the visitor in this scenario . Two of his buddies live near each other so he typically goes there rather than them over here. As his parent I wouldn't be super cool with him riding his bike and not coming home until midnight - but I would never expect someone else's parents to bring him home.

I would ask if they wanted a ride home. If they said no, then I would ask the kid if his/her parents knew they were going to be riding their bike home at midnight. If parent's were aware and ok with it then off they go.
    :kay

Premier Sponsor
    Same as the others. Offering a ride is decent, but if their parents okayed it it's not my place to interfere. It bugs the crap out of me when people take it upon themselves to monitor my kids beyond what I have said is necessary. E.g. when my two oldest were 12 and 13 they volunteered with scouts to serve a pancake breakfast at our church. We were going to be there for Mass about an hour after they were finished. We told the boys to go to the park across the street until we got there and we also let their leaders know that was our plan. When we got there, we found that instead of going to the park, they were sitting in the lobby for an hour with the parents of another kid because they "just didn't feel right" leaving them unsupervised....as though it was their place.

I think once you offer a ride the kid my start expecting it...
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

Quote Originally Posted by jen View Post
    A 16 year old comes to your house to visit your teen. This kid doesn't drive, and yours cannot drive non family members for another 6 months (law).

Teen lives about 2 to 3 miles from you and despite your offer to drive, teen rides a bike to your house and stays until midnight.

Are you ok with letting the kid ride home? What if you know the teen's parents are ok with it? Does gender matter at all?
    I don't even think my whole town is 3 miles long. lol I wouldn't have a problem with them riding their bike home. The majority of kids have a license by 16 (permit by 14) If they rode their bike in from the country, I most likely would offer a ride.