Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opk and your responsibility

Dh and I go to bed early. We have a small house. I generally expected people to go home by 9 or 10, unless they were staying over.
    nesha ;-)

Down with the Tsar!
    Time to storm the Winter Palace...

It's a romance. The kid is not welcome to spend the night.

Growing up, I had a 1am curfew at 16, and as a parent, my kids didn't need a curfew because they were generally home by 10 or 11 or anyway. If they were going to be later or spend the night somewhere, they were expected to call and let me know.

Yes, I did have only boys, but I wouldn't have parented differently if I had a girl. I mean, my sisters and I were girls and had a 1am curfew. There's no reason, imo, to treat girls and boys differently. I do understand that it might depend on where you live, what you decide is best in your situation, but at that age, my kids were biking and walking all over the city to get to where they wanted to go.

Quote Originally Posted by purplekitty View Post
    my kids didn't need a curfew because they were generally home by 10 or 11 or anyway.
    See that's what I keep coming back to - because of who my kid is I can't wrap my head around him - at this age - being out until midnight. He just doesn't roll that way . He needs his down time at home and his evening routine so I can't see him wanting to stay out until midnight (barring a special occasion of course). And his two best buddies both have younger siblings so I don't think their families would want him hanging around that long either.

My kid was/is a social butterfly who had friends in various groups in high school (the band kids, the jock kids, the community sports kids), so she was always either out and about or we had a pack of kids at our house. Midnight was a pretty common curfew. If they weren't spending the night, which they did a lot. Way too much for introverted Dh and I, so we finished our detached garage and stuck them out there. . We could hear/see them (it was right outside our kitchen window), but they weren't in our space unless they were traipsing in for food or bathroom.

Quote Originally Posted by purplekitty View Post
    Growing up, I had a 1am curfew at 16, and as a parent, my kids didn't need a curfew because they were generally home by 10 or 11 or anyway. If they were going to be later or spend the night somewhere, they were expected to call and let me know.

Yes, I did have only boys, but I wouldn't have parented differently if I had a girl. I mean, my sisters and I were girls and had a 1am curfew. There's no reason, imo, to treat girls and boys differently. I do understand that it might depend on where you live, what you decide is best in your situation, but at that age, my kids were biking and walking all over the city to get to where they wanted to go.
    I had my girls and then DH's boys and it was the same for all of them. No real curfews, but we did like a general time of when they expected to be home so we knew at what point to become concerned. If they stayed over we wanted to know that too so we could lock the door and not be up worrying about them. This was all before cell phones of course.

I think my oldest was 16 (almost 17) when she took a job over the summer doing night audits at a hotel, so she stayed right there. That was a turning point in letting go of the belief I had to know where she was at all times, and being the oldest, that probably trickled down to the younger ones at about the same age. They were all working in addition to school by that age, and were all independent. Curfews were never really a thing after they entered their early teens.
    "Wherever in the world much poverty is found, much religion is found also"

We don't really do curfews either, however if E isn't sleeping over at a friend's house and he needs to be picked up then we like it to be before midnight so we can go to bed.

And when I say "we", I mean DH, because I'm usually asleep by 10 LOL

I don't think anyone is walking or biking around my neighborhood at midnight. I mean, I'm in bed then, but if I wander out to the kitchen for a glass of water, it seems pretty quiet out. There's not a lot of walking or biking to begin with, except for me.

And I think there's an actual curfew for teenagers, though I don't remember what time it is. I'm willing to bet the cops would stop a teenager on a bicycle at midnight, though.
    nesha ;-)

Down with the Tsar!
    Time to storm the Winter Palace...

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    I read the title and wondered what responsibilities are associated with ovulation prediction kits. Which is a really weird association for *me* to have made.
    Same.

I don't think my parents would have been okay with my staying at someone's home until midnight. I did have a curfew (don't remember what it was) but it could be changed if the situation warranted it. More than anything, I think my parents would have found that rude to the other kid's parents and thus not allowed it barring special circumstances. At about 10 pm, it would have been "in or out, for the night".

Also, my town had a curfew which was enforced by cops who had little else to do in an upscale bedroom community, so it would have been a no-go on that account as well. It's been a long time, but I think the legal curfew was 10 or 11.