Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Morning Chores

Premier Sponsor

Morning Chores

So my older boys started school today and this year they are going 4 days a week. I'm working on rewriting the chore schedule, as obviously they won't be home during the day and it wouldn't be fair to have them come home from school and do a million things try catch up. I'll probably end up assigning them evening dinner clean up. What I'm wondering is do you have your kids do any chores in the morning before school? Is that too much to expect? I'm thinking something small like starting a load of laundry, or unloading the dishwasher.

Premier Sponsor
    My kids have to be out of the house at around 6:30am. We are not morning people so we are doing well to be dressed and fed by then. None of us do chores in the morning.
    "You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace."

Countdown the the End of An Error

Sitting on the couch eating bon bons! Eli's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justthinking View Post
    My kids have to be out of the house at around 6:30am. We are not morning people so we are doing well to be dressed and fed by then. None of us do chores in the morning.
    Yeah, I don't have children, but I was going to pipe in that it probably really depends on your morning dynamic. If you are a family that's up and at 'em and it fits within the time to unload the dishwasher, it may work. But if they have to be out the door at 6:45, I probably would have chores wait until after school.

My boys don't have /never had chores.
    If I need something done, I just ask them to do it.
    But I have 2 boys who are 10 years apart.
    I don't know what I would have done with a bigger family.

I agree it depends on how much time your family typically has in the morning, plus how chaotic your mornings typically are.

Dd and I would do chores together after school, or on weekends when she had after school activities. We had a really mellow small family, though. Chores could wait until we got around to them.

Morning chores aren't part of our routine. I ask the kids to clear their breakfast plates and then it's a few minutes of them playing or watching a show while I get some food into my belly and then out the door we go. No time for chores.

Quote Originally Posted by justthinking View Post
    Yeah, there is no way anyone is accomplishing anything here in the mornings.

Of course, my kids don't have chores either. If I need them to do something, I tell them to do it. Otherwise, we don't have any scheduled chores.

Yep we had to leave by 7 AM. So just getting out of the house on time was all I required!

When we have an exchange student, they leave at 6:45. There are no chores at that time of the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprockey View Post
    My boys don't have /never had chores.
    If I need something done, I just ask them to do it.
    I have 3 kids now ages 18, 19 and 23. Only one still lives at home. But we've never been morning chore people. As far as helping out, I ask and then they'd do. I also ask them to keep their bathroom clean as well as clean up after themselves in the kitchen. When they were younger and we had issues with them not getting things done, it meant I may have not gotten around to taking them where they wanted to go UNTIL they did what had been asked. That usually worked.