Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Morning Chores

Quote Originally Posted by Kimm View Post
    Too bad we are took lazy for that.
    That's part of it . I am too lazy to enforce chore sessions. That would make me naggy and I'm too chill for that

Quote Originally Posted by Sprockey View Post
    That's part of it . I am too lazy to enforce chore sessions. That would make me naggy and I'm too chill for that
    This is me, too. I learned early on in parenting to only pick the battles I was willing to fight to the death. I have extremely stubborn children (they come by it honestly). I made some charts early on, but I was too relaxed to even keep up with whether they were doing them. It made more work for me, not less.

Plus, I am not a scheduled or regimented person. I never have been. We do things in a very unscheduled way. It may not work for everyone, but it all eventually gets done.

I have enough trouble getting my class kids to do chores. It's a Montessori school - they're supposed to clean!

I *am* a morning person, so I like to zip around in the morning and do ALL the chores. All I've ever asked is for people to pick up after themselves.
    nesha ;-)

Down with the Tsar!
    Time to storm the Winter Palace...

What do you do in a chore session?

Premier Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Andee View Post
    What do you do in a chore session?
    Chores? :p
    "You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace."

Countdown the the End of An Error

I have had zero success with chores. Usually I just yell at them to clean up their messes. I also nag at them to do stuff occasionally. It's too tiring though, so I usually wind up doing it myself.

Premier Sponsor
    The musts are:
    Sweep
    Dishes
    Counters
    Switching the laundry and folding one basket

Once a day we do couches (because people always leave random crap on the couches), surfaces (like desks and the TV stand, again for random crap), and bathroom.

We have a super broken down chore chart so that no one person has any major burden. So one kid will have morning laundry, lunch dishes, sweeping one room, etc. I usually work in the kitchen or sweeping, or wiping random surfaces that are gross, or getting food ready, or where ever there seems to be a need. This sort of micromanaging of chores is not my personality type at all, I actually tend towards lazy and laid back. However, get to enough meals and find there are no dishes (we pretty much use them all up at each meal), or try to go out enough times and find no one has clothes, and I had to get organized about chores. I certainly don't think it's "the way" that everyone should be, but there are a lot of us, we all make a lot of mess (well, the 2 and 3 year old might be responsible for well over half the mess really) and it takes all of us to keep on top of things so we mostly have what we need. And we still run out of dishes and clothes pretty regularly.

We don't have any kind of formal chore list, which probably explains why the house looks like a bomb went off 98% of the time .

Mine take care of their own rooms (or don't if they prefer to live like a pig) and their own laundry. The most I do in that respect is yell at them occasionally to get their stuff out of the dryer because I have clothes that need to go in. Sometimes I do make them vacuum their rooms when it dawns on me it's been awhile. They do what I tell them to do though, like unload the dishwasher, but they really just do it when told. It will change a bit shortly since my oldest is moving into a college dorm in a few days, so the youngest will get the dishwasher unloading job 24/7.

The most I do chore wise in the morning is I might finish loading a half loaded dishwasher and turning it on, if I have time to kill while I wait for the Keurig to brew my coffee. But I'm not making any promises that will happen on any given day.

I admire those of you who actually do chores in the morning. I can't do anything. I lay out my clothes, make my lunch, clean up the kitchen, and wash myself the night before. This way, I don't need much more than my brain stem to get up and get out to work.
    "Life is about dreams. Teaching is about making them come true."

I'm with Sprockey on everything she said in this thread. Not surprising. I just set expectations for things that would be nice to have the kids help with and/or just ask them to do something specific.

Your chore chart sounds like an entire other job. You have a much larger family so I'm sure you need to be more organized. If the dishes pile up in the sink, I eventually get to them.