Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aurora theater attorneys want victims to pay $700 thousand

Aurora theater attorneys want victims to pay $700 thousand

Attorneys for Cinemark want victims of a 2012 shooting at a Colorado movie theater to pay nearly $700,000 in legal fees after they unsuccessfully sued the theater chain.

The company's lawyers told a judge they need the money to cover the costs of preserving evidence, retrieving and copying records, travel and other expenses, according to court documents filed this month.
    Jurors in May ruled in Cinemark's favor over 28 victims and their families who argued the nation's third-largest theater chain should have done more to prevent the attack that killed 12 people and left more than 70 others injured. They sued in state court, saying security lapses allowed for the July 20, 2012 attack at a midnight premiere of a Batman film.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cinemark...0k-legal-fees/

I don't know that I blame the theater for the shooting, and I'm glad jurors had the same finding, although I can't imagine that grief those families and victims must be feeling.

That said, I can't imagine asking the families and victims to pay the legal fees, as big as they are. Ugh. Which, I know, stinks for the theater, but still. Ugh.

That's how it's normally done here. If you sue and lose, you pay the court costs of who you tried to sue.

My blog - A Northern Life

See, I know that's typically the case, and I do feel for the theater, but it just seems harsh to ask the grieving and/or injured victims to pay up. Of course, they sued the theater, but still... My head knows they should have to pay, but my heart is having more trouble with it. If that makes any sense.

in the Bat cave avoiding the drama llamas
    FYI: I edited the title of the post. It read $700 million, but it's actually $700,000

Quote Originally Posted by Dharma View Post
    FYI: I edited the title of the post. It read $700 million, but it's actually $700,000
    Thank you! Sorry about that!

in the Bat cave avoiding the drama llamas
    Quote Originally Posted by beccaphel View Post
    Thank you! Sorry about that!
    You're welcome! No apologies necessary. :)

If the theater won the suit they are within their rights to ask for attorney's fees. I had a previous employer sue me for quitting and he lost and had to pay my attourney's fees. (As well as 9 months of back pay he owed me frok bounced paycheck a which is why I quit but I digress)

However, I wonder if the bad press associated with this will be worth more than $700k

I think this is standard legal practice?

And it ought to prevent frivolous lawsuits.

I am sure the security at this theater was the same as at any theatre so why should they be held responsible?
    I apologize for my previous signature.

I still have them turned off.

Sometimes I think civil verdicts should be three major categories instead of two. Liable, not liable but reasonable question, and not liable and frivolous question. Let the jury not only decide if there is liability, but whether it was at least a reasonable question on the part of the plaintiffs. If it was reasonable, no attorney fees are due, and if it wasn't, then automatically the plaintiff has to pay for the defendants' costs.

And perhaps lawyers and the bar could have a point system. Accrue too many "frivolous" points in a specified time period, and your license is suspended for a while.