Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Appetizer help

Lamb and Beef Tagine with Lemon Garlic couscous and Labneh - makes 2 servings

10oz ground lamb/beef blend (50%lamb 50% beef)
    3/4 cup couscous
    4 cloves garlic
    1 lemon
    1 zuchinni
    1/2 bunch swiss chard
    1 bunch mint (for garnish)
    3 medjool dates (I usually DOUBLE this coz I like dates!)
    2 Tablespoons tomato paste
    2 teaspoons Ras El Hanout (Moroccan spice, available on amazon and at whole foods)
    1/4 cup Labneh cheese (strained yogurt cheese, available at Middle eastern markets and some whole foods)

Wash and dry the fresh produce. Peel and mince the garlic. Using a peeler, remove the yellow rind of the lemon, avoiding the white pith; mince the rind to get 2 teaspoons of zest (or use a zester). Quarter and deseed the lemon. Separate the chard leaves and stems; roughly chop the leaves and thinly slice the stems, keeping them separate. Large dice the zucchini. Pit and roughly chop the dates. Pick the mint leaves off the stems; discard the stems.

In a small pot, heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil on medium-high until hot. Add half the garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 1 to 2 minutes, or until lightly browned and fragrant. Stir in the couscous and 1½ cups of water; heat to boiling on high. Once boiling, cover and remove from heat. Let stand for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the liquid has been absorbed and the couscous is tender. Fluff the cooked couscous with a fork. Add the lemon zest and the juice of 2 lemon wedges. Drizzle with olive oil and stir to thoroughly combine; season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside in a warm place.

While the couscous cooks, in a large, high-sided pan (or pot), heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil on medium-high until hot. Add the chard stems, zucchini and remaining garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 2 to 4 minutes, or until lightly browned and softened. Add the tomato paste and ras el hanout; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, 1 to 2 minutes, or until fragrant and the tomato paste is dark red.

Add the ground lamb and beef to the pan of vegetables; season with salt and pepper. Cook, frequently breaking the meat apart with a spoon, 3 to 5 minutes, or until lightly browned and cooked through

Add the chard leaves, dates and 1 cup of water to the pan of vegetables and meat; season with salt and pepper. Simmer, stirring occasionally and scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan, 7 to 9 minutes, or until thickened and saucy. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.

While the tagine simmers, in a bowl, combine the labneh and the juice of the remaining lemon wedges; season with salt and pepper to taste. Divide the cooked couscous between 2 dishes. Top with the finished tagine. Garnish with the mint. Serve with the seasoned labneh on the side. Enjoy!

in the Bat cave avoiding the drama llamas
    Thanks, GOF. Will definitely give it a go.

Thank you!

I really like the bites with dates so I add dates and I also really like the labneh so you may want a bit extra of that too