Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laws Giving Access to Incapacitated Parents

Laws Giving Access to Incapacitated Parents

Campbell Falk Bill Now Law will be effective on Monday, May 16, 2016 when the Governor of Tennessee Bill Haslam makes it official by applying his John Hancock to the Bill. Glen Campbell who has been suffering with Alzheimerís Disease will now have some protection.

Travis Campbell, Debby Campbell-Cloyd, Catherine Falk, Senator Rusty Crowe and many othersís fought long and hard to get this bill passed and they succeeded.

Glen Campbellís first daughter (Debby Campbell-Cloyd) and son (Travis Campbell) became involved when their fatherís fourth wife Kim Campbell was not allowing them to visit their father. They had to take her to court to get visitation, something that should be a GOD given right to parents and children.
    http://www.thedailybanner.com/campbe...-bill-now-law/

SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- When actor Peter Falk became ill, his adult children said they were blocked from visiting him in the hospital by his spouse. After the actor who starred in "Columbo" died, his kids weren't notified about the funeral arrangements.

Two New York state lawmakers from Syracuse this month pushed the Legislature into passing "Peter Falk's Law" to help other families avoid that kind of situation.

On Tuesday, the state Senate passed a bill sponsored by Sen. John DeFrancisco that requires judges who are appointing guardians to oversee the care of sick people to identify all of those individuals, children and other relatives, who are entitled to notice of the incapacitated person's death, funeral and burial arrangements.
    http://www.syracuse.com/state/index....gislature.html

If my dad becomes incapacitated in any way I'm 100% sure my stepmom will make sure I am never aboe to have any contact with him... I think this law is a good idea.

Wouldn't living wills cover this? I do think a spouse should have primary rights to decide matters pertaining to a partner.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

What if the parent didn't want anything to do with their family for a reason? The children can claim that they are being kept away and the parent can't speak up. I understand in some situations it is the spouse trying to block access but sometimes it might be at the person's request. It will be hard to prove either way.
    :kay

I don't know about a "God given right", but I'm uneasy when one family member doesn't involve other people in those big decisions. And I think there would have to be a pretty compelling reason for a Fourth Wife to block the adult children from even seeing their father. If there's a compelling reason, explain it to a judge.
    nesha ;-)

Down with the Tsar!
    Time to storm the Winter Palace...

Quote Originally Posted by RealCranky View Post
    I don't know about a "God given right", but I'm uneasy when one family member doesn't involve other people in those big decisions. And I think there would have to be a pretty compelling reason for a Fourth Wife to block the adult children from even seeing their father. If there's a compelling reason, explain it to a judge.
    "Compelling reason" = wants the kids cut out of any inheritance.

I think it would be important to discuss this before you become incapacitated, because I do think there are situations where children should not have power over a spouse. The incapacitated spouse may be/have been in total agreement before becoming unable to make final decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by GiftOfFlavor View Post
    "Compelling reason" = wants the kids cut out of any inheritance.
    There are situations where that would be warranted.

The laws don't seem to be about whether or not children should be able to make decisions over the spouse. They are about the spouse denying the children access to the incapacitated parent (not allowing visits), and in the case of Peter Falk, the children weren't even notified when he died and that he had a funeral.

Ugh. I don't know. I know this is about the parents, but I can't help but think about my situation. I have cut my mother and many family members off permanently. I don't give a shit what is happening. I never want to see them or have them see me again. I would be pissed if some judge overrode my husband and allowed them in when I could not do anything about it. That would be a serious violation to me.