Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: What's your definition of a long term marriage?

I had a long term marriage....20 years. I had a relationship that was heading in the long term direction before it ended. I dunno, I think 10 years qualifies.

I had to get out the calculator. Dh and I have been together 62% of our lives.

No groundhogs; just prairie dogs RobinAnn's Avatar
    So, I've had two 18 year marriages. This one will go 'til death, I believe.

I'm still friends with husband #1 and wouldn't be surprised, if I'm widowed, we may live together again unless he becomes very sickly (platonically, though).

My marriage lasted almost 10 years. My current relationship has lasted nearly the same amount of time, and I consider it a long-term relationship.

You know, it felt long term to me when I had been married to Dh for longer than I had lived with my parents - so at the 16 years. That felt like a big deal to me.
    nesha ;-)

Down with the Tsar!
    Time to storm the Winter Palace...

Quote Originally Posted by faerymajick View Post
    My marriage lasted almost 10 years. My current relationship has lasted nearly the same amount of time, and I consider it a long-term relationship.
    This post made me realize that the time I consider a long term relationship is different than a long term marriage. Interesting. Without really thinking about it, I slapped a 10 in front of long term relationship, and a 15-20 in front of long term marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    This post made me realize that the time I consider a long term relationship is different than a long term marriage. Interesting. Without really thinking about it, I slapped a 10 in front of long term relationship, and a 15-20 in front of long term marriage.
    Me too

Dh and I hit the half our life point a few years ago. Time is measured in three epochs in my life: Before Dh, Before Ds, After both of those things . It's rare to tell ds a story about our life before him that doesn't involve each other - almost all of them start "Your father and I...."

I realized a little while ago that my FIL has been in two long term marriages. He and MIL were married over 30 years (maybe over 35) and he and his second wife have been married around 20 years. That's a lot of years in a marriage

I agree - a long term dating relationship is different from a marriage, in my head, too.

I'll hit the half life thing next year. Dh and I have lots of stories before we met! Some of them we can tell dd, some of them may never be for intergenerational sharing.