Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What's your definition of a long term marriage?

It depends on to whom you are married - 10 years might feel pretty long! :;)
    nesha ;-)

Down with the Tsar!
    Time to storm the Winter Palace...

I think 10 years is a long time.

I'm on the 10-year bench.

Premier Sponsor
    10 years doesn't seem long term to me, but then my grandparents were married for over 60 years and my parents have been married for 55 years next month, so I look at it from that perspective. In Hollywood, where people sometimes divorce before the ink is dry on their licenses, I'm sure 10 years seems long term.
    "You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace."

Countdown the the End of An Error

No groundhogs; just prairie dogs RobinAnn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie Beth View Post
    My interest in Dh's pension vested on our tenth anniversary.

I was thinking along these lines too, WRT military pension. That said, I was married to my ex for 18 years

Quote Originally Posted by justthinking View Post
    10 years doesn't seem long term to me, but then my grandparents were married for over 60 years and my parents have been married for 55 years next month, so I look at it from that perspective. In Hollywood, where people sometimes divorce before the ink is dry on their licenses, I'm sure 10 years seems long term.
    I'm going on 26 years of marriage, and 10 still seems like a long time.

At minimum, 15 years... but I tend to consider 20 to be long-term. Less than that, meh.

Premier Sponsor
    We've been together for ten years and some days it's hard to believe that much time has passed, and other days when you think of all that has happened during that time it feels much longer.

Also, we were in the earlier chunk of our friends that got married so sometimes it feels like we're the "old married couple".

Obviously as compared to those that have been together twenty or forty or sixty years ten years is nothing. But it's a decent chunk of my life!

Quote Originally Posted by RobinAnn View Post
    I was thinking along these lines too, WRT military pension. That said, I was married to my ex for 18 years

Maybe I need to look in to this. . I thought that from day 1 part of the military pension became community property. I have friends who divorced in CA, and I believe that was the case with them. So if they were married for 1 year of his 20 year military career, then 1/20 of the pension was community property, meaning the spouse would get 1/40 of it. Married for 12 (so, not long term ;) ) of 24 years, half of it would be community property so she'd get 1/4 of every check when they started coming.

Of course, if the service member ends up getting out before 20, it has no value at all.

No groundhogs; just prairie dogs RobinAnn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Maybe I need to look in to this. . I thought that from day 1 part of the military pension became community property. I have friends who divorced in CA, and I believe that was the case with them. So if they were married for 1 year of his 20 year military career, then 1/20 of the pension was community property, meaning the spouse would get 1/40 of it. Married for 12 (so, not long term ;) ) of 24 years, half of it would be community property so she'd get 1/4 of every check when they started coming.

Of course, if the service member ends up getting out before 20, it has no value at all.
    OK... I had it wrong. "If married less than 10 years, payment comes from service member" (not through military pay channels).

I think though, the community property aspect depends on the state where the divorce occurs. You mentioned CA... not all states consider retirement pay as community property.

That said, I could have gotten 1/2 of 18/20ths of my ex's retirement pay but we chose a different way to divide our assets.