Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker - anyone use these?

Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker - anyone use these?

I posted in the daily thread about this, but thought I'd make a thread too. We just got an Instant Pot (this one) and I've made pork chops and porcupine meatballs in it so far. It's so easy and yummy! I know that pressure cooking is not a new thing at all, so I'm wondering if anyone out there is still using this method? Any tried and true recipes? We eat a ketogenic diet, so bonus points if it's super low carb, but I'm interested in anything you've done.

I used to have a pressure cooker to cook artichokes. But I think that's all I ever cooked in it! That is, until the day the pressure got too high & it got all bent out of shape. DH refuses to buy me another one.

Quote Originally Posted by jjchris View Post
    I used to have a pressure cooker to cook artichokes. But I think that's all I ever cooked in it! That is, until the day the pressure got too high & it got all bent out of shape. DH refuses to buy me another one.
    That's why I don't use a stovetop one :) I'm far less afraid of my electric one with all sorts of safety and backup safety features. I'll have to try artichokes! How do you eat them after they've been pressure cooked?

We would just pull the leaves off & dip them in either mayo or butter. When you get to the heart, I would scoop out the choke stuff and fill with mayo or butter and drool.

Quote Originally Posted by jjchris View Post
    We would just pull the leaves off & dip them in either mayo or butter. When you get to the heart, I would scoop out the choke stuff and fill with mayo or butter and drool.
    Ohh! That sounds yummy - and it fits with our diet! Thank you!

I love the hell out of my stovetop pressure cooker. A friend has the Instant Pot and loves it. The Kitchn recommends it, too. And an update from the Kitchn.

Quote Originally Posted by Alice Chalmers View Post
    I love the hell out of my stovetop pressure cooker. A friend has the Instant Pot and loves it. The Kitchn recommends it, too. And an update from the Kitchn.
    What are you favorites in it? Stovetop recipes are easily adapted - so I'd love to know what you love in it!

I do a lot of beans - they're so easy in the pressure cooker! Pot roast is utterly amazing in the pressure cooker. I think it gets even more tender than in a Dutch oven or slow cooker. Pork chops turn out really well. I sometimes do stocks, but still make more stocks on the stovetop because I make very big batches at a time (just finished 16 quarts about an hour ago). My favorite cookbook is Pressure Cooker Perfection by America's Test Kitchen.

Oh, and corned beef, since that's coming up soon. It was a huge hit last year!

I want an Instant Pot! They are more expensive in the UK though, so I have been waiting to see if I can get a deal.

Is this essentially the same thing as my rice cooker? I haven't really experimented with it much, but I understand you can do other things with it. Mine is pretty simple, though, few settings. I just don't want to buy multiple appliances that do the same thing.