Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker - anyone use these?

Omg. I bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by niccikatie View Post
    It's on sale on Amazon today for $93.73 which is a fantastic price!
    On sale on UK Amazon for £120 ($175).

I'll sell you mine for $125

I want to taste stuff that someone else has cooked in an InstaPot! I keep hearing how great they are, but... my mom was a huge fan of the pressure cooker. We never blew anything up, but I didn't really like the food out of it. It seemed overdone to me. So I'm interested to see if there is some different technique to these, and if the food comes out differently.

My mom made spanish rice a lot.
    nesha ;-)

Down with the Tsar!
    Time to storm the Winter Palace...

Quote Originally Posted by emmjay View Post
    Boo. I was hoping it would be on sale there, too. If you go to hippressurecooking.com she has reviews of lots of machines. She's in Italy so she may have more European brands that we can't get here for a better price?

Quote Originally Posted by jjchris View Post
    Omg. I bought it.
    YAY! I can't wait to hear how you like it!

Quote Originally Posted by RealCranky View Post
    I want to taste stuff that someone else has cooked in an InstaPot! I keep hearing how great they are, but... my mom was a huge fan of the pressure cooker. We never blew anything up, but I didn't really like the food out of it. It seemed overdone to me. So I'm interested to see if there is some different technique to these, and if the food comes out differently.

I think the benefit of electric is that you can control the timing much more accurately. There is definitely a risk in overcooking, but there are plenty of recipes/information out there about NOT overcooking your food. My roast last night was WAY better than I've done in the crock pot or oven.

If you ever detour to MSP when you're in WI (a long, long, long shot, I know!) you can stop by and I'll make you Instant Pot food!

DH has a pressure cooker and the only thing he uses it for is Salmon. White Wine in the bottom, fresh garlic and fresh dill. No clue how long but it tastes great.

I leave the kitchen when he uses it. It scares me.

Quote Originally Posted by niccikatie View Post
    White rice has an 8 minute cooking time. It takes a few minutes for it to boil and reach pressure, but you can cut that time by using hot water. For some things, like pot roast, the savings time is hours and for others, like rice the time savings isn't huge. I haven't done rice alone but people rave over the consistency.
    That's significant. My rice cooker takes like 40 minutes. If you're making dinner alongside it's just as well, because the rest of it would probably take that long anyway. And the rice cooker keeps it warm until you're ready to eat, does this thing do that?

Quote Originally Posted by emmjay View Post
    We could buy it and ship it to you, surely it can't be that much to ship, right? But would the plug be an issue?

Quote Originally Posted by RealCranky View Post

My mom used one a lot, too, I was always a little scared of it. Dh is a volunteer firefighter so he would flip out if I bought the traditional kind..

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie Beth View Post
    We could buy it and ship it to you, surely it can't be that much to ship, right? But would the plug be an issue?
    Actually - we could totally do that - Amazon prime is free shipping. I wonder if I could buy it as a gift & ship it to you?