Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker - anyone use these?

I have a pressure cooker, but really only use it to cook potatoes before mashing them!

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie Beth View Post
    Is this essentially the same thing as my rice cooker? I haven't really experimented with it much, but I understand you can do other things with it. Mine is pretty simple, though, few settings. I just don't want to buy multiple appliances that do the same thing.
    No, this does make rice, but a rice cooker can't pressure cook. This can pressure cook, slow cook, cook rice, make yogurt, steam etc. I bought it for the pressure cooking, though.

I'm about to put in a roast...we'll see how it goes!

I want to hear about it, it sounds like it might be really handy to take upstate. MIL has an oven up there that for some reason I just don't cook well in. It also has an electric glass cooktop and I suck with those. She loves it because it's easier to clean, and she's right, but I am hopeless. One bump sends the pan spinning and with all my crew running around plus the dog I'm afraid somebody's gonna get burned. Also she stores perishables in the oven so the mice don't get them and I invariably turn on the stove to preheat. Like every. time. I know it's partially my fault but it's like she wants me to melt things in her oven.

Anything that will pull double duty up there so that I don't embarrass myself would be great.

My BIL did a ham in one that was awesome, probably the juiciest ham I've ever had. The house did not smell good however. It had a strong meat smell that wouldn't quit. I guess because it is constantly venting under high pressure it will transfer the smell of whatever you're cooking very effectively.
    "Wherever in the world much poverty is found, much religion is found also"

I want to hear about it, it sounds like it might be really handy to take upstate. MIL has an oven up there that for some reason I just don't cook well in. It also has an electric glass cooktop and I suck with those. She loves it because it's easier to clean, and she's right, but I am hopeless. One bump sends the pan spinning and with all my crew running around plus the dog I'm afraid somebody's gonna get burned. Also she stores perishables in the oven so the mice don't get them and I invariably turn on the stove to preheat. Like every. time. I know it's partially my fault but it's like she wants me to melt things in her oven.

Anything that will pull double duty up there so that I don't embarrass myself would be great.
    This would be GREAT for that. A lot of people use them in RVs or cabins. Much more time to just spend with each other and not babysitting food, too.

My pot roast was amazing! Took a little over an hour from start to finish and was yummier than if I'd done 4 hours in the oven.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamapalooza View Post
    My BIL did a ham in one that was awesome, probably the juiciest ham I've ever had. The house did not smell good however. It had a strong meat smell that wouldn't quit. I guess because it is constantly venting under high pressure it will transfer the smell of whatever you're cooking very effectively.

That's odd. It shouldn't be constantly venting. It's supposed to seal and keep the pressure in which is how it works. I get very little smell of food cooking until the IP is opened. I wonder if stovetop PC is different?

Ohmigosh. You're making me want one! I guess DH & DD saw an infomercial right before Christmas and wanted it. DH read a bunch of reviews on that one and they weren't very good, so he didn't buy it. I'm going to link him to yours.

Quote Originally Posted by jjchris View Post
    Ohmigosh. You're making me want one! I guess DH & DD saw an infomercial right before Christmas and wanted it. DH read a bunch of reviews on that one and they weren't very good, so he didn't buy it. I'm going to link him to yours.
    I'm serious. It's awesome. The reviews of the Instant Pot are excellent. There are a lot of knockoff/no name ones out there and a lot of good ones, too.

How fast does it cook rice?

How fast does it cook rice?
    White rice has an 8 minute cooking time. It takes a few minutes for it to boil and reach pressure, but you can cut that time by using hot water. For some things, like pot roast, the savings time is hours and for others, like rice the time savings isn't huge. I haven't done rice alone but people rave over the consistency.

It's on sale on Amazon today for $93.73 which is a fantastic price!