Thread: Mattel Unveils ThingMaker, A $300 3D Printer for Kids

Mattel Unveils ThingMaker, A $300 3D Printer for Kids

At New York’s Toy Fair trade show over the weekend, Mattel unveiled its new, $300 3D Printer, the “ThingMaker,” which will allow children to print their own toys at home. The device works in conjunction with a 3D printing app developed in collaboration with Autodesk that offers a simple interface for designing items that can then come to life via Mattel’s ThingMaker as well as with other standard 3D printers already on the market.

The accompanying app is actually key to making Mattel’s 3D printing experience more accessible to a wider audience.

While there are affordably priced 3D printers available today, the software that works with them can sometimes have a learning curve that can hinder adoption. With the new application, live now on iOS and Android, the goal was to make it easy enough for anyone to design their own toys – even younger children.
    http://techcrunch.com/2016/02/15/mat...heir-own-toys/

Beats the hell out of my childhood Play-doh Fun Factory

I had something that I thought was actually called a Thingmaker - it made bugs and stuff using a liquid formula that you put in moulds and heated in a little square box. It was neat. That was probably 45 years ago.
    I can't think of anything witty to say for my signature line.

Quote Originally Posted by Inky View Post
    I had something that I thought was actually called a Thingmaker - it made bugs and stuff using a liquid formula that you put in moulds and heated in a little square box. It was neat. That was probably 45 years ago.
    I had one too and loved it

Quote Originally Posted by Inky View Post
    Wasn't that Creepy Crawlers? I had one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by TapToTalk View Post
    Wasn't that Creepy Crawlers? I had one of those.
    Yes! That's the name. There were different sets but the only one I remember was the bug one.
    I can't think of anything witty to say for my signature line.