Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Reading? 2016

What Are You Reading? 2016

Ok I will start, because I wanted to thank WOG for the "Madame Tussaud" recommendation. I really liked it. I have been reading a bunch of contemporary fluff, so it was nice to return to a favorite genre of mine. Those who enjoy historical fiction will love it.

I am now back to contemporary fluff. I have started "Crazy Rich Asians" fun read so far :)

So excites that I will actually get to participate in this thread now!

I'm currently reading The Great Leader and the Fighter Pilot: The True Story of the Tyrant Who Created North Korea and The Young Lieutenant Who Stole His Way to Freedom by Blaine Harden. I'm into North Korea right now. It's a good read!

Quote Originally Posted by niccikatie View Post
    So excites that I will actually get to participate in this thread now!

I'm currently reading The Great Leader and the Fighter Pilot: The True Story of the Tyrant Who Created North Korea and The Young Lieutenant Who Stole His Way to Freedom by Blaine Harden. I'm into North Korea right now. It's a good read!
    You should check out Escape from Camp 14. It's about the only person born in a North Korean prison camp to escape one. It's a pretty fast read but I found it very eye opening.

I'm reading Christopher Moore's Serpent of Venice based on Mo's recommendation in the best of 2015 thread. It's not the kind of book I would normally pick up and I like to spread my wings a little . I never really liked Shakespeare so my absorption of it was pretty crap - I imagine there are all sorts of clever references I'm missing but so far I'm enjoying it.

Just finished The Perfect Son by Barbara Claypole White, about a family whose son has tourette's. Interesting, and I liked it every time I picked it up, but it seemed to take me forever to finish it!

Just started False Security by Angie Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Goat View Post
    You should check out Escape from Camp 14. It's about the only person born in a North Korean prison camp to escape one. It's a pretty fast read but I found it very eye opening.
    I have this on my to be read list!

My library now has ebooks without any DRM! I'm so excited about that. Now, I can just download any books I want and then delete after I read them. No more having to read them in 21 days and having to time check outs. They still "expire" 21 days after downloading but they won't lock as long as I've transferred them to my Nook.

Just finished The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon by David Grann. It was certainly interesting, although a little unsatisfying in the end. Just started

The Hundred-Year Flood by Matthew Salesses; it was a Kindle First book awhile back.

I have just started reading A Cappella Arranging

I read nothing but books about terrorism for the last 6 months of 2015 (in my non-fiction reading) and I needed a break. It was pulling me down so on the first day of work this year was really cold so I decided on a cold theme and I started Frozen in Time. It's an amazing book about heroism and bravery and it moves to me tears routinely . I can't do the description justice so I'm just going to cut and paste from GR

On November 5, 1942, a U.S. cargo plane on a routine flight slammed into the Greenland ice cap. Four days later, a B-17 on the search-and-rescue mission became lost in a blinding storm and also crashed. Miraculously, all nine men on the B-17 survived. The U.S. military launched a second daring rescue operation, but the Grumman Duck amphibious plane sent to find the men flew into a severe storm and vanished.

In this thrilling adventure, Mitchell Zuckoff offers a spellbinding account of these harrowing disasters and the fate of the survivors and their would-be saviors. Frozen in Time places us at the center of a group of valiant airmen fighting to stay alive through 148 days of a brutal Arctic winter by sheltering from subzero temperatures and vicious blizzards in the tail section of the broken B-17 until an expedition headed by famed Arctic explorer Bernt Balchen attempts to bring them to safety.

But that is only part of the story that unfolds in Frozen in Time. In present-day Greenland, Zuckoff joins the U.S. Coast Guard and North South Polar—a company led by the indefatigable dreamer Lou Sapienza, who worked for years to solve the mystery of the Duck’s last flight—on a dangerous expedition to recover the remains of the lost plane’s crew.