Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Reading? 2016

Quote Originally Posted by niccikatie View Post
    So excites that I will actually get to participate in this thread now!

I'm currently reading The Great Leader and the Fighter Pilot: The True Story of the Tyrant Who Created North Korea and The Young Lieutenant Who Stole His Way to Freedom by Blaine Harden. I'm into North Korea right now. It's a good read!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebraday View Post
    I just finished Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll. A really good read but a troubling topic.

I am now on to The Night Circus which my book club is reading this month.
    When I was checking it out it said it was a cross between Gone Girl and The Girl on the Train, which I had just finished reading so it piqued my interest. Now I might need to check out Prep...
    Prep is awesome. Curtis Sittenfeld is a great author. It's not the same genre, but the character developent is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by faerymajick View Post
    I often read the first book in a series and save the next for later. Sometimes it takes me a long while to get back to it. And yeah, it probably will make an entertaining movie.
    I find if I leave too long between books I lose the train of them so I like to read them all in a row if possible. I read a lot but my retention isn't great . I remember ds bugging me about not remembering a book I read a couple of years ago and I had to remind him that I've read 100 books since I read that one .

I am reading a book that was given to me by the author. I had never heard of her before and I am having a hard time recalling her name right now. It is not a good book at all. I can hardly stand it. I feel like it was written by a 13 year old boy and how he thinks a dramatic older teenage girl would act in a certain tragedy. None of it is believable. All the reviews on Amazon say how wonderful it is. I don't think I will finish it and for some reason this makes me feel guilty.

Quote Originally Posted by Andee View Post
    I am reading a book that was given to me by the author. I had never heard of her before and I am having a hard time recalling her name right now. It is not a good book at all. I can hardly stand it. I feel like it was written by a 13 year old boy and how he thinks a dramatic older teenage girl would act in a certain tragedy. None of it is believable. All the reviews on Amazon say how wonderful it is. I don't think I will finish it and for some reason this makes me feel guilty.
    Oh that sucks. I've made a few connections with new artists and the books have been fun to read, but it would suck hard to have to give a critical review. I guess that's why there are so many positive reviews for crap books. I would have no problem giving Stephen King a critical review - but it would be harder for someone starting out and putting themselves out there to crush them. I'm no Simon Cowell I guess

Feminist since age three! Marian Paroo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marian Paroo View Post
    Creatus (They Exist) - Prequel (Creatus Series) - by Carmen DeSousa
    Total waste of time, but at least it was free

I can't describe how much I loved Frozen in Time. I would recommend this book to anyone who liked Jon Krakauer's Into Thin Air. The book jumps from the past to the present to describe the efforts to rescue the men/find the plane - it's exciting and suspenseful (because I didn't know the outcome of either). The heroism and bravery moved me to tears routinely. Such a great story.

I did abandon Serpent of Venice. I laughed a lot when I first started but about half way through I realized I didn't like any of the characters or care what happened to them . I think my aforementioned lack of Shakespeare knowledge was the real problem.

I started LM Montgomery's Blue Castle based on Sars' recommendation. I also started a book called Fatal Passage about the man who discovered the fate of the Franklin Expedition (carrying on with my cold theme )

I just finished Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll. A really good read but a troubling topic.
    I enjoyed it! I don't mind darker subject matters and the subject hits very close to home. It was great!

I'm now onto Troublemaker by Leah Remini. I am fascinated by Scientology as well as North Korea right now!

Feminist since age three! Marian Paroo's Avatar
    Giggling my head off over The Case of the Not-So-Nice Nurse (a Nancy Clue and Cherry Aimless mystery) and nobody to share it with

I finished Blue Castle today and I can't tell you how much I enjoyed it. Some of it was predictable and she was so frustrating at the beginning with her meekness that I wanted to throttle her, but it was just called to me - it made my heart sing. LM Montgomery put me on the path of loving romances with Anne of the Island - that passage where Anne finds out Gilbert loves her is one I've read over and over again. My one big regret is that I waited until I was 46 to read this book. Twelve year old me would have swooned .

It was written in the 1920's so it's very old fashioned - but sometimes a girl needs old fashioned

Quote Originally Posted by niccikatie View Post
    I'm now onto Troublemaker by Leah Remini. I am fascinated by Scientology as well as North Korea right now!
    I didn't realize that Leah was a Scientologist before she went to Hollywood. Very interesting read.

Now onto Finding Me: A Decade of Darkness, a Life Reclaimed: A Memoir of the Cleveland Kidnappings byMichelle Knight, Michelle Burford. It's interesting so far, but such an AWFUL topic. It's not particularly well written, but a interesting account.