Thread: NY priest siphoned $1m from parish to pay for male prostitute: lawsuit Read more at h

Wishes reality was like comic books tpatt100's Avatar

NY priest siphoned $1m from parish to pay for male prostitute: lawsuit Read more at h

Yes that's a million dollars he stole to pay to a male prostitute.

A New York priest is being sued by his parishioners for allegedly pocketing US$1 million (A$1.3 million) from the collection plate to pay for rough sex sessions with a male prostitute.

Members of the congregations at St Frances de Chantal and St Francis Cabrini in the Bronx and Roosevelt Island also allege Rev Peter Miqueli spent A$83,000 in 2012 for illicit and prescription drugs, the New York Post reports.

Miqueli also bought a home in New Jersey and paid the rent for his gigolo's apartment with the money fleeced from the parish, the court papers allege.

"This lawsuit seeks to finally put an end to this truly sinful conduct so that St. Frances de Chantal parish can regain the strength, spirituality and faith it once had before Father Miqueli arrived," the court papers state.

The prostitute has been named as Keith Crist, who would be paid $1000-a-session for sadomasochistic sex with the Catholic priest.

Crist allegedly lived in the rectory of St Frances de Chantal with Miqueli before getting kicked out.

Maintenance workers allegedly saw piles of cash, each about 30cm high, scattered throughout Miqueli's rectory residence in 2014.

The lawsuit filed on Thursday also claims the Archdiocese of New York and Cardinal Timothy Dolan knew about the illegal scheme and did nothing to address it.

Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

Unrelentingly Oppositional Andrea's Avatar
    Why isn't this a criminal case as well??

Typical fallen priest schtick: Can't get off unless it hurts.

"When politics becomes a religion, then simple disagreements become apostasies, heresies. And you know what we do with heretics." -- Peggy Noonan

As part of my job as a cantor/choir section leader, I had to go through training called Virtus about what to do if you suspect wrongdoing from a member of the clergy. I had to object to the training, which said if you suspected wrongdoing, call the Diocese so they could look into it.

My sister, otoh, was a mandated reporter at a Catholic school since she worked directly with children, and in her Virtus training, they said to report to the appropriate authorities.

A Grand a session?!

He'd better have been damned good!
    "Life is about dreams. Teaching is about making them come true."

Is it St Frances Xavier Cabrini in Roosevelt Island ?

Ia anyone surprised that the church is still [allegedly] hiding wrong doing? It would shock me zero if they were still covering up child rape as well. They've shown their stripes again and again, and yet people still imagine them to be something else. I feel sorry for those with Catholic beliefs as it must be painful to be again and again betrayed by an organization which is tied to the believers in such a personal way. And to have to decide whether to give money to the church, hoping it will go toward all the good the church does, but know it may also pay to cover up horrible crimes or buy a priest some kinky sex? It's a shame.

Premier Sponsor
    I don't feel betrayed by the Catholic Church - even a tiny bit. I am disappointed in any individuals who commit atrocious crimes and of those who cover them up. I think it is an even greater sin and offense when a priest commits such crimes than a lay person.

I agree with Pandora that I don't feel betrayed by the Catholic Church. I think I'm more frustrated that certain dioceses feel the need to cover up when priests do things that are clearly wrong, and often illegal. That does need to stop. I know that, while most priests are great people, like everything, there are some bad ones in the bunch. I think it's horrible that the church covers up for those who have abused their position. This is clearly an issue that has not been addressed the way it needs to be.