Thread: Pistorius Guilty of Murder

Pistorius Guilty of Murder

Oscar Pistorius convicted of murder by appeals court.

JOHANNESBURG -- Oscar Pistorius was convicted of murder on Thursday by a South African appeals court that described the once-glittering story of the double-amputee Olympian and Reeva Steenkamp, the girlfriend he killed in his home in 2013, as "a human tragedy of Shakespearean proportions."

The Supreme Court of Appeal overturned a lower court's conviction on the less serious charge of manslaughter, adding another twist to a case that riveted people around the world because of its gripping saga of a celebrity athlete's plunge from grace by his own hand.

"The accused ought to have been found guilty of murder on the basis that he had fired the fatal shots with criminal intent," Justice Lorimer Eric Leach said in the courtroom in Blomefontein, in which Steenkamp's mother, June, sat impassively. Pistorius was not there.
    Wow, I didn't expect that.
    "Life is about dreams. Teaching is about making them come true."

I am so confused. I thought he was already tried and was serving his time (but then was released to house arrest).

Was there another trial or did a Judge just decided to overturn and re-convict?
    Now what? he goes back to prison?

Wishes reality was like comic books tpatt100's Avatar
    Yeah I was confused at first as well.
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

I think it's confusing to us because we have laws in this country where the prosecutor can't appeal an original decision like this. Sounds like that's not the case in South Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by purplekitty View Post
    I think it's confusing to us because we have laws in this country where the prosecutor can't appeal an original decision like this. Sounds like that's not the case in South Africa.
    In our country this is called Double Jeapordy, right? You can't be tried (and found innocent or guilty) for the same crime twice...?

Quote Originally Posted by GiftOfFlavor View Post
    In our country this is called Double Jeapordy, right? You can't be tried (and found innocent or guilty) for the same crime twice...?
    I'm not sure it's technically double jeopardy because it was an appeals process that convicted him for murder in South Africa. We do have an appeals process, but the prosecution can't appeal to charge up from the original verdict in this country. The defense can appeal the decision and if they get something overturned, the prosecution can then appeal the appeals court decision until the appeals are exhausted.

I read that! It's fascinating how different nations handle their legal system. I'm glad he will spend more time in jail (likely) after Christmas, because I don't think the months he served were enough, but I was surprised that the judge handed down the harsher conviction!

Oscar Pistorius granted bail after murder conviction.

Pretoria, South Africa (CNN)Oscar Pistorius was back in court Tuesday where a judge granted him bail.Judge Aubrey Ledwaba said Pistorius has proven he is not a flight risk.

Last week, South Africa's Supreme Court of Appeal overturned his conviction of culpable homicide and found him guilty of murdering his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp.

His lawyers said they will appeal that decision to the Constitutional Court, and that Pistorius should be allowed to remain free on bail while they do so. The hearing before the Constitutional Court could take months

Doesn't "SUPREME Court of Appeal" kind of suggest that should be the end of the road, and what the hell is a "Constitutional Court"? Are they claiming his conviction somehow violates their constitution?

I'm really having a hard time understanding their legal system.

I'm bumping this so that this is the top thread and I'm not reminded of the poor baby who died on a swing.
    I apologize for my previous signature.

I still have them turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by WQ View Post
    I'm bumping this so that this is the top thread and I'm not reminded of the poor baby who died on a swing.
    You do realize, of course, what I'm immediately tempted to do?!

Okay, fine, I'll behave!