Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why am I being asked for my zip code?

Feminist since age three! Marian Paroo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TapToTalk View Post
    Don't know which site you are using. Do they usually do overseas orders? Some aren't equipped to handle that all that well.
    It's not something that needs to be shipped, it's a document that will be sent via email. In the meantime I went back to the site and they have a service where I can talk with a real person. Will try that on Friday.

Feminist since age three! Marian Paroo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WQ View Post
    When I went abroad I attempted to keep my American bank account (small-town bank.) I wasn't able to as they had no way of changing my address in the system. They simply don't have the database set up for anything other than American addresses. I think some companies just don't think about customers outside of the US.
    That, too.

Does the ZIP code have to match the billing address? Or are they just collecting demographic information? What happens if you put in 90210?
    I apologize for my previous signature.

I still have them turned off.

It's as others have said. An added security measure. If the zip code you put in doesn't match the billing zip code, the transaction is denied. I've had to use it at gas stations at the pump and enter it for some retail stores (like Walmart) when I use my AMEX.

Quote Originally Posted by WQ View Post
    Does the ZIP code have to match the billing address? Or are they just collecting demographic information? What happens if you put in 90210?
    It has to match the billing address.

Saddle up--we have a trail to blaze! Glorie's Avatar
    As someone whose business has taken credit cards online--yes, it is for verification purposes. The system we used required the address and zip for the credit card. The numbers in both the billing address and the billing zip code had to be associated with the card number or it was not considered valid. I'm sure some companies do it for demographics, too. But ours was required for transaction approval.