Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adventure books for 10yo girl?

Adventure books for 10yo girl?

Gift shopping time for BILs kids, who we don't really know. DH spent time with them today and learned that the girl, age almost-10, is in to "adventure books". That's all I know. I have a sense that she probably doesn't want fantasy type stuff. I know that's not much to go on, but does anyone have any recommendations for either series or individual books?

Okay, more info. She likes "adventure, mysteries, and things with secrets". She's in 4th grade.

My niece really liked The Tail of Emily Windsnap series. It's about mermaids. That might actually be the name of the 1st book. I can't remember how many were in the series. 5 or 6 I think.

I'll check that one out. Thanks. I hate to do a gift card, or at least only a gift card, so I'm hoping I can at least include a book.

It's BEN and Jerry, not GWEN and Jerry! Catamount's Avatar
    My kids are about that age, and the Emily Windsnap books are super popular, so she might already have them. If you want something more obscure, we've really liked the Eddie Red books. He's a kid who is an artist with photographic memory who gets called upon by the NYC police to help with a series of art heists. There is a second one, too. We also really liked The Wollstonecraft Detective Agency, which is about fictionalized versions of the young Ada Braun and the young Mary Shelley working together to solve a mystery. The second one in that series is due out in January.
    "Correlation doesn't imply causation, but it does waggle its eyebrows suggestively and gesture furtively while mouthing 'look over there.'"

Lemony snicket and the Warriors (cats) series come to mind

No groundhogs; just prairie dogs RobinAnn's Avatar
    Well, I liked The Green Glass Sea and its sequel. Books were written for grades 5 -8 and are adventurous in a historical sense. :)
    Robin

My daughter likes Murder is Bad Manners

She likes Lemony Snicket too.

From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler?

Quote Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
    My kids are about that age, and the Emily Windsnap books are super popular, so she might already have them. If you want something more obscure, we've really liked the Eddie Red books. He's a kid who is an artist with photographic memory who gets called upon by the NYC police to help with a series of art heists. There is a second one, too. We also really liked The Wollstonecraft Detective Agency, which is about fictionalized versions of the young Ada Braun and the young Mary Shelley working together to solve a mystery. The second one in that series is due out in January.
    Wollstonecraft was really popular when I worked in the library. But I don't know the Eddie Red books (which is good as it means she's less likely to have them!) and will check those out. At one time, she was kind of in to art, so that might make them even better.