Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've just discovered the word "Christianist" !

I've been hearing it for years. It's a useful way to differentiate, I guess, although outside of activist communities, people are likely to be unfamiliar with it.

"Christianity" is a religion. If you adhere to the religion, you are a "Christian". If you don't, you are not a "Christian". What the hell is a "Christianist" supposed to be? It sounds stupid and incorrect to me.
    "Life is about dreams. Teaching is about making them come true."

It's used to describe stupid and incorrect people who claim to be Christian, so maybe it's a good choice.

Feminist since age three! Marian Paroo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maurinsky View Post
    It's used to describe stupid and incorrect people who claim to be Christian, so maybe it's a good choice.
    Yes, it's meant to be a parallel to Islamist, and it sounds fine to me. Just think, I won't have to type out Christian in red anymore here when I am talking about the Republican ones

Quote Originally Posted by Marian Paroo View Post
    Yes, it's meant to be a parallel to Islamist, and it sounds fine to me. Just think, I won't have to type out Christian in red anymore here when I am talking about the Republican ones
    Point taken, but the term implies that it is some kind of "alternate form" of Christianity, and it's not. I don't like having my religion associated with people who violate it, and that term does just that. "Pseudo Christians" would do just fine.

Unrelentingly Oppositional Andrea's Avatar
    I'm assuming Christians with political aims?

It's not exactly analogous to Islamism as Christianity in and of itself lacks the system of laws and jurisprudence that Islam has. I think a Catholic theocracy may be more analogous?

"When politics becomes a religion, then simple disagreements become apostasies, heresies. And you know what we do with heretics." -- Peggy Noonan

Feminist since age three! Marian Paroo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
    I'm assuming Christians with political aims?

It's not exactly analogous to Islamism as Christianity in and of itself lacks the system of laws and jurisprudence that Islam has. I think a Catholic theocracy may be more analogous?
    You have something there, unlike Judaism and Islam, Christianity does not have a legal system as part of the package. But some Republican Christians are openly calling for an American theocracy with laws based on the Bible

Quote Originally Posted by Marian Paroo View Post
    But some Republican Christians are openly calling for an American theocracy with laws based on the Bible
    "Republican Christians" .......

Given the extremist state of their party, would they be akin to "humane cannibals"?