Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mormons Targeting Children of GLBTs

Mormons Targeting Children of GLBTs

Mormon church labels same-sex couples apostates.

(CNN)A new Mormon church policy considers church members in same-sex marriages as apostates whose children will be barred from baptism and church membership unless they disavow same-sex unions.

John Dehlin, the excommunicated founder of the podcast "Mormon Stories" and a self-described "unorthodox" Mormon, posted the documents detailing the changes on Facebook Thursday, saying "legally married LGBT Mormons" will likely be "hunted down and threatened with the inhumane and barbaric" church disciplinary procedures.

Wow! I guess they forgot this little part of the Gospels: But Jesus said, "Let the little children come to Me, and do not hinder them! For the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."
    "Life is about dreams. Teaching is about making them come true."

I've seen posts from Mormon friends that the kids are welcome to participate in church activities and come to church, but they don't want the church to come between the kids and their parents. I don't really see how this solves that.

This is going to wreak havoc in Mormon dominated areas, especially in the circumstances of divorced families and child custody. A Mormon family court judge is probably going to have a tougher time awarding joint custody if it means that those children can't be baptized under this edict.

The church is not "targeting" anyone. They clarified policy, extending the provision to include children of same sex couples, similar to long-standing policy for children of polygamous & Muslim parents, that requires a person be of legal age (which is 18 in the US) to be baptized.

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/articl...NWS_xLIDyL1-A_ (if anyone is interested in going to the source...)

Being baptized at 8 is such a huge deal for these kids, ESPECIALLY in Utah, that making them feel left out amongst their peers is a huge deal. They can say that it's about "protecting" the children all they want. It's mean, plain and simple. The church is punishing gay parents through their children and no amount of justification by church elders is going to change public opinion on that.

If you bring the monkey, I'm leaving puppylove's Avatar
    On my 33 acres in Virginia! (Thank you Sars for the reminder) ;)
    Personally, I don't think *anyone* should be allowed, legally, to be baptized into any religion until they are legally of age. Allowing small children to be baptized and held to a religious standard before they can fully comprehend what that means is wrong. In my own experience, JW children are allowed to be baptized as soon as they can answer questions of doctrine satisfactorily. Some as young as 8 or 9. Then, when they hit an age where they start to question doctrine, they are kicked out of the religion and shunned by their friends and family.

It's morally wrong, IMO.
    -Donna- People first. Dogs second. Things last.

http://countdowntoasimplerlife.blogspot.com

Wishes reality was like comic books tpatt100's Avatar
    Parents influence the beliefs of their children in pretty much everything else including religion. People can say they "are open minded" about politics, work ethic, etc with their children but unless you really don't talk much about anything in the house with your kids you are already influencing their opinions on everything. I hear young people parroting their parents liberal/conservative beliefs all the time, they sound like a blog.

We are not raising our son with religious standards but we are still raising our son with a certain moral standard that fits our personal belief system that isn't religious so I don't see what the difference is.

Besides once kids get a certain age they just do the complete opposite of you just to annoy us anyways....
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

If you bring the monkey, I'm leaving puppylove's Avatar
    On my 33 acres in Virginia! (Thank you Sars for the reminder) ;)
    Because in some religions, leaving (or even disagreeing with) the religion means you lose everything. Your family, your friends, your support system.

Now, I don't think this happens so much in mainstream religions (Catholic, Baptist, Lutheran, etc.,) but it definitely happens in the LDS and JW organizations. I don't think minors should be allowed to commit themselves to something they can't fully understand.
    -Donna- People first. Dogs second. Things last.

http://countdowntoasimplerlife.blogspot.com

Wishes reality was like comic books tpatt100's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by puppylove View Post
    Because in some religions, leaving (or even disagreeing with) the religion means you lose everything. Your family, your friends, your support system.

Now, I don't think this happens so much in mainstream religions (Catholic, Baptist, Lutheran, etc.,) but it definitely happens in the LDS and JW organizations. I don't think minors should be allowed to commit themselves to something they can't fully understand.
    Yeah those types of people are so brainwashed I doubt they would listen to anybody else and their kids are screwed anyways. If you are going to disown your children because they leave your religion then I doubt it really matters if your child is committed or not, I think it's sad to be that devoted to something that you would disown your own children.
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

I've listened to Leah Remini talk about Scientology and the whole notion of shunning people (including your children) if they leave the Church.

It's effed up.

If you claim to be Christian but also insist on being exclusive to people who only act/live a particular way, you have missed the entire point of Jesus.

(I'm not a believer in any deity, but I have read the Bible)