Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Papal Visit: No, Pope Francis Isn't Changing Catholic Teaching

Premier Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by nam View Post
    No. It is not so much that he's a terrible communicator. I think he's a great communicator on these issues. I just think that the last two Popes, and the American Catholic Bishops weren't so good at emphasizing these parts of the Church's teachings the way Pope Francis is. The American Bishops have pretty much allied themselves with the Christian right, and so, although they do speak of these things, it is more in hushed tones to not offend their political allies, so what if they speak loudest about is sexual morality and abortion. That's where the religous money and religious politics are in this country. So, with Pope Francis being so outspoken in this way, it SEEMS like a change, but it is not.
    Ah, I just realized I'm off topic from what you are saying. All you are saying is true. I was referring to the times when he actually has been misunderstood/misconstrued/misreported. He HAS been misunderstood in ways that would imply a change to church teaching, but not necessarily on the topics to which you are referring. If you'd like I can find some examples later, I'm on a phone right now which makes it hard for me.

Thank-you, Nam. I've been saying this all along.
    Nothing he's actually said is different from what I grew up with, and the increased talk of respect and all that hasn't lead to any actions that would demonstrate anything resembling actual respect.

He's kinder, sure, if you consider a year of "it's okay for a woman to be forgiven for having had an abortion in just the same way a mass murderer could have been forgiven all along" (after which the system goes back to only a bishop can designate if she's forgiven and by whom) to be kind.
    "cdesign proponantists"
    "What will you do once you know?" ~ Inuit Wisdom

Premier Sponsor
    He's kinder, sure, if you consider a year of "it's okay for a woman to be forgiven for having had an abortion in just the same way a mass murderer could have been forgiven all along" (after which the system goes back to only a bishop can designate if she's forgiven and by whom) to be kind.
    Just for clarification, every single bishop but one in the US (which I haven't verified about the one) has already given permission for the priests under him to recommunicate and absolve women who have had abortions so there is not much of a difference in this country.

I am so over the wall to wall pope coverage. He's a politician just like the rest.
    He has talked and talked. He has done things that cost little (as evidenced by little actual change).
    So yep, he's likeable. But what has be done? Pedophiles are still being protected. Women are still not given equal power in the church. Call me when something actually changes.

He's living in opulent luxury and is little more than a televangelist. IMO

But, yes. I think he is a kind man and seems to be much more in touch than his predecessors.

He doesn't live in the palace. He lives in some dorm for priests.
    I apologize for my previous signature.

I still have them turned off.

He seems like the kind of pope you could have a beer with..

Wishes reality was like comic books tpatt100's Avatar
    Now she feels even more important....

Kim Davis And Pope Francis Reportedly Had A Private Meeting In D.C.

Addressing reports that Pope Francis met privately with controversial Kentucky clerk Kim Davis during his U.S. visit, the Vatican isn't denying the meeting took place. Davis, who has refused to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples, says she met the pope at the Vatican embassy in Washington.

Offering no comment on the previously unannounced meeting, the Vatican would neither confirm nor deny that it took place.

"I never thought I would meet the Pope," Davis said via her legal team. "Who am I to have this rare opportunity? I am just a County Clerk who loves Jesus and desires with all my heart to serve him."

The meeting is said to have occurred last Thursday, the same day Francis addressed Congress. Davis was in Washington for another purpose: She received a Cost of Discipleship award at the Family Research Council's Values Voter Summit on Friday night.

Update at 7:45 a.m. ET: Meeting 'Kind Of Validates Everything,' Davis Says

"Just knowing the pope is on track with what we're doing, and agreeing, you know, kind of validates everything," Davis tells ABC News Wednesday morning, speaking about her meeting with Pope Francis and the stand she has taken against same-sex marriage.

She adds, "I've weighed the cost, and I'm prepared to do whatever it takes."

Davis says it was "very humbling" to meet Francis. Describing the session, she says, "I put my hand out, and he grabbed it, and I hugged him, and he hugged me."

The Vatican reached out to Davis several weeks ago to arrange the meeting, ABC reports.
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

I liked this take on her meet and greet with the Pope http://papalvisit.americamedia.org/2...-keep-in-mind/

Especially the takeaway of, if " Meeting Mark Wahlburg means he liked 'Ted', too! "

The Pope comes to preach the Gospel and everyone just tries to use him as a political football. I believe there was a formal White House dinner for him where they invited all sorts of queer and transgender activists.
    I apologize for my previous signature.

I still have them turned off.