Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Class Dojo??

Class Dojo??

Is your school using this app? It gives and takes away points from the kids for positive or negative activity. We kind of equated it to Hogwarts - 5 points to Hufflepuff, except it is to your kid only.

I guess they compare and know which kid has the highest points for the day and which kid lost the most points for the day.

just wondering if other schools are using it and how much. I get a picture often of my kid in class with a long description. I am wondering how they can take so much time away from the students to be on their phones... I don't need updates during the day about my kid.
    -Chris

Hmmm. I haven't heard about it. Sounds like a silly waste of time.

How old are the kids they are reporting on?

Quote Originally Posted by Sprockey View Post
    Hmmm. I haven't heard about it. Sounds like a silly waste of time.

How old are the kids they are reporting on?
    Here it is being used in the 4th and 5th grades. They expect teachers to teach and I don't see how this is anything but a time hog for them. I don't want his teacher wandering the classroom marking up and down kids I want her helping my kid learn to focus not telling him he is losing 3 point because he isn't on task.
    -Chris

I think you can put it up on the smartboard.

A lot of teachers like it because it doesn't take very long (less than keeping daily conduct notes) and keeps the records for you.

I swear the words that come out of my mouth most often are, "Please focus," and "Are you making wise use of your time?"
    nesha ;-)

Down with the Tsar!
    Time to storm the Winter Palace...

My DD's teacher used it last year (3rd grade). I hated it. I hated it so much.

There would be something like DD losing 2 points for "speaking out of turn" or something, with no explanation. What does that mean? Was she just chatting to her friends when she wasn't supposed to be? Was she interrupting the teacher? Answering questions without raising her hand? Or was she being really argumentative? Because those things all mean different things to me.

And really, unless my kid has a chronic issue with something, like constantly talking to her friends when she's supposed to be working, I just don't need to see a report about it. Her teacher last year was a micromanager, though. I would get emails saying things like "her desk is messy" or "she's not focusing on her assignment right now". Um...okay?

This sounds really lame and really micromanagey.

I expect to see things like "not focusing", "not following directions" - aspergers(HFA) and ADHD and we are working on those things. When I see -5 to for Disrespect... though I would like a follow up. There is no place for explanation so I don't know how to follow up at home. Disrespect is huge to me.

I'm not feeling good about this so far.
    -Chris

Is the issue that you see the reports? Would you rather not?

I do see it recommended for classroom management quite often, and it seems to me to be a ticket system or moving clothespins on a chart, only with better record keeping.

Have you talked to the teacher about it?
    nesha ;-)

Down with the Tsar!
    Time to storm the Winter Palace...

Quote Originally Posted by RealCranky View Post
    Is the issue that you see the reports? Would you rather not?

I do see it recommended for classroom management quite often, and it seems to me to be a ticket system or moving clothespins on a chart, only with better record keeping.

Have you talked to the teacher about it?
    I don't mind seeing the reports I just don't have any information to make them useful. I see that my kid was disrespectful but when I asked him he wanted to know what he did - he had no clue what I was talking about. I have no information. I would think if it were enough to log then the teacher would talk to the kid about the behavior and what he could do next time.

Issues with the system. Sharing of numbers with the classmates. Focusing on tally keeping rather than assisting with learning how to focus or what how better to interact with your classmates. No real communication home. All I see is hallway misbehavior, disrespectful, off task, not following directions...

I have a meeting with the teacher and his liaison this week.
    -Chris

Thankful for the tomorrows... Katrina's Avatar
    I downloaded it for my classroom and hated it. It just wasn't a system that I thought was useful for my classroom. I also found it time consuming and I didn't like that the entire class was able to see how many points everyone had. If I have an issue with a student, I will speak to them about it privately and respectfully.