Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Consequences for bad grades

Quote Originally Posted by Sarsparilla View Post
    Kimm, I have a friend whose boyfriend is making a modest living as a League of Legends player. Very modest!
    It IS possible, but highly unlikely. I am fine with it as long as he can pay his basic bills. What I am NOT fine with is him expecting me to subsidize him while he sits around playing video games like a troll in a dungeon.

I had the meeting with the counselor today. We are going to do a 504 plan. I'm really hoping this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Mare View Post
    I had the meeting with the counselor today. We are going to do a 504 plan. I'm really hoping this helps.
    Yea!!! I really think it will be a positive. Fingers crossed.

Premier Sponsor
    I think this could be a good thing--for both of you. When the school gets more involved in helping her organize herself and get motivated to do and turn in her best work, you shouldn't have to spend as much time nagging.
    "You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace."

Countdown the the End of An Error

great news.
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by jen View Post
    First semester of freshman year was pretty crappy for DD, too. It wasn't until it was her own motivation to do well that she became so driven. Freshman year really is not given nearly as much weights as the other years. I hope she turns it around.

True - if she gets it together, the improvement from freshman year to junior year will make her look good. If she's going to fail, freshman year is the year to do it.

I wish I could tell you the magic plan, but I can't. As has well been documented, my oldest doesn't like to turn in work either. Which has resulted in him getting to spend next summer in the awesome city of Taft, CA because he failed 2 classes at college. He nearly didn't get to go back this year.

It is about maturity.

I had a girlfriend who got a 504 plan for her son with very similar issues. I know her son as an adult and he's one of the funniest brightest people I know who is actually an educator

I think finding a teacher whose grades are less to do with the ability to turn in homework and more to do with knowledge is the key.

With my oldest for math, I made a deal with his teacher, he had to turn in what he hand finished that day in class before he could leave the classroom because his grades were horrible because he wouldn't finish it, so he wouldn't turn it in, and then when he finally would finish it he would only get half credit and often times what he had finished in the classroom that day was more than 50% - his homework grade actually went up.

I don't know if she has a cell phone, but I think internet access, and cell phone privileges are the way to go. For my youngest she is so much like her older brother it is scary. I change the password on the router when she is missing assignments, log in the homework laptop and she can't access internet anywhere else. Also, she doesn't have a phone if she has missing assignments - I also take her Kindle.

We had to remove the TV from her room - she was our only kid that ever had one, and she purchased it herself, but she simply couldn't handle it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimm View Post
    Wanna come over? I take Visa, MC, Discover, and Rocky Road.

I hope the plan works for her.

She sounds a lot like me when I was that age. If I felt like I understood the material, I simply couldn't bring myself to do homework. The harder the class, the better my grades as unless I was intellectually challenged, I was disinterested. In retrospect, I also realize that when I wasn't engaged intellectually, I had time to feel really anxious and my untreated anxiety kicked in, which mad the entire class and subject feel unpleasant for me.

I tell you this to let you know there is hope. My first couple years of college weren't much better, though I managed to get mostly As and Bs, which no worse than a C. My last two years, I wasn't aware of anything changing, but something must have clicked. Maybe it was that classes got more challenging. Anyway, suddenly I was a Dean's List student and it call just came together.

Oh, and Kimm, if he is at all artistic, you might try to steer him toward careers that might involve game design. I know you said it's not what he wants, but maybe there's some way to peak his interest. My bestie's husband went to art school and now works as an artist for a video game company. You (or DS) may have seen his work in Red Dead Revolver or GTA. Stuff like that seems like it would get a kid amped up. If he's not artistic, they have programers who I assume are software folks.

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Oh, and Kimm, if he is at all artistic, you might try to steer him toward careers that might involve game design. I know you said it's not what he wants, but maybe there's some way to peak his interest. My bestie's husband went to art school and now works as an artist for a video game company. You (or DS) may have seen his work in Red Dead Revolver or GTA. Stuff like that seems like it would get a kid amped up. If he's not artistic, they have programers who I assume are software folks.
    I am really hoping he does something like that. He is artistic, but says he is not. The fortunate thing for him is that he is naturally pretty good at anything he does. I think he would be best suited to do something in design. Because of his ADHD, it would be ideal for him to do something he can do freelance. I also think he would enjoy some of the "service" type careers (like plumber or electrician) where he is in a different place every day and doing something physical. He seems to be able to fix things with little effort and is a natural puzzle solver.

I just get nervous when his dream seems to be something very, very, very rare.