Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: What are you reading 2015- Revert Edition!

Full Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Nansel View Post
    Me, too! I really enjoyed it. Even the math bits
    I confess to skimming a bit over the math.

Full Sponsor
    Double post.

That was the most upsetting thing about the movie - no ninja pirates .

I just read Beacon 23 by Hugh Howey. I enjoyed it but not as much as some of his other stuff.

I finished Mirage. Ultimately it was disappointing. The concept was cool - an alternate history where Arabia was strong and the US was fractured - but it got all mystical and weird and shit. Interesting stuff in it though and I don't regret reading it. I also finished The Dogs Are Eating Them Now by Graeme Smith about the war in Afghanistan. Great book - the author's stories for the Globe & Mail exposed some scandals at the time and led to some changes. He's pretty honest about his mistakes and his misunderstandings as well NATO's mistakes and misunderstanding.

I'm taking a Christmas break from terrorism though . All of my non-fiction for over 6 months has been Africa/Middle East related and I'm getting burned out.

I started Mr Kiss and Tell last night - the 2nd Veronica Mars book.

I just finished A Dog's Journey and absolutely loved it.

It's BEN and Jerry, not GWEN and Jerry! Catamount's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Goat View Post
    I finished Mirage. Ultimately it was disappointing. The concept was cool - an alternate history where Arabia was strong and the US was fractured - but it got all mystical and weird and shit. Interesting stuff in it though and I don't regret reading it.
    I also read Mirage, and completely agree. It had potential to be great, but he never quite pulled it together. You might really like his other books, though, if you aren't familiar with him. Fool on the Hill and Set This House In Order are two of my favorite books ever.
    "Correlation doesn't imply causation, but it does waggle its eyebrows suggestively and gesture furtively while mouthing 'look over there.'"

Thanks - I'll check them out. I'm currently reading So You've Been Publicly Shamed by Jon Ronson and so far it's fascinating. It's about people who been subjected to an internet shaming like Justine Sacco (Africa AIDs tweet) and Adria Richards (Donglegate). Anyone who spends time on the internet should read it. In typical Ronson fashion it's light and quick.