Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2015- Revert Edition!

You should get a library card .

Sitting on the couch eating bon bons! Eli's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Goat View Post
    You should get a library card .
    I have one, but my library system is cruddy. My small city library has a terrible selection and I could use other libraries in the same system, but they serve large populations who get first dibs on the good books.

The library system in my hometown is awesome, but because I live in a different system, it would cost me a monthly fee to use.

Gotcha. My system kind of blows too. Because I work in Toronto, the City of Toronto has kindly given me a library card and their system kicks ass. I can't remember the last time I needed to buy a book . Sometimes I'm on hold forever but I rarely need to buy.

I'm currently reading A Quest for Godliness: The Puritan Vision of the Christian Life and From 1 to 200: The Hidden Language of Numbers Revealed. The former is exactly what it sounds like, and the latter is really just trivia about each number, so it's a good book to pick up and read for 2 minutes here and there (which is what a lot of my reading time looks like!).

I also have a book through inter-library loan right now called Mathematics in Service to the Community: Concepts and Models for Service-Learning in the Mathematical Sciences, but it has a musty smell and it really irritates my allergies just to open it up, so I don't know if I'll be able to read it. It was recommended by someone who's interested in research similar to my own interests, so I'm bummed by the quality of the copy I got.

I'm just here for the lulz. Sarsparilla's Avatar
    Eli, you should see about friends and family in other places who would loan you their login or even *gasp* make a library card for you so you could use the electronic resources available from elsewhere.

Just saying.
    Welcome to Fluffytown. No smoking, no farting, no pillow fights.

Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    The Return of Captain John Emmet. I am doing a trial of Kindle Unlimited and this was one of the books. Thinking that $10 a month, might be a bit easier on the wallet than the $50+ per month I had been spending on books.
    Do you find the selection of books worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarsparilla View Post
    Eli, you should see about friends and family in other places who would loan you their login or even *gasp* make a library card for you so you could use the electronic resources available from elsewhere.

Just saying.

I could ask my mom. She might be convinced to help me out.

Quote Originally Posted by banana View Post
    Do you find the selection of books worth it?
    I just joined and gave it a cursory look. I was able to find quite a few that grabbed my interest. The way I see it, I spent $60+ on books in the month of August- the books costing anywhere from $7.99-12.98. Now that school is starting, my pleasure reading time will decrease, but if I find 2 books a month that are included, it will be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    I just joined and gave it a cursory look. I was able to find quite a few that grabbed my interest. The way I see it, I spent $60+ on books in the month of August- the books costing anywhere from $7.99-12.98. Now that school is starting, my pleasure reading time will decrease, but if I find 2 books a month that are included, it will be worth it.
    Do you use the free and discount book sites, like bookbub, pixel of ink, ereaderiq, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by banana View Post
    Do you use the free and discount book sites, like bookbub, pixel of ink, ereaderiq, etc.?
    I do use bookbub, but have found the selection to be lacking. I think the only book I really enjoyed that was recommended on bookbub was The Forgotten Seamstress. I will check out the other sites though.