Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: vroom! vroom!

vroom! vroom!

Without discussion, your partner decides to buy a motorcycle. There are no helmet laws in your state, and s/he doesn't intend to wear one. What would your response be? Caveat: you can afford the motorcycle

Is his life insurance paid up? If so, fine. I'm his wife not his mommy.

Quote Originally Posted by jen View Post
    Without discussion, your partner decides to buy a motorcycle. There are no helmet laws in your state, and s/he doesn't intend to wear one. What would your response be? Caveat: you can afford the motorcycle
    Like CG posted, I'd make damned sure his life insurance was up to date.

Might want to throw some extra disability insurance in with that life insurance. They don't always die in the crashes.

I'd be livid if my spouse wouldn't wear a helmut though. It is just common sense, and does my partner expect me to hang in there, perhaps as a 24/7 nurse, should he have a crash and become completely dependant on others to feed/change/turn/care for?
    I can't think of anything witty to say for my signature line.

I'm just here for the lulz. Sarsparilla's Avatar
    I would remind him about my brother and he would wear a helmet or get rid of the bike.

Or me. I couldn't take it.
    Welcome to Fluffytown. No smoking, no farting, no pillow fights.

My Happily Ever After. <3 lilone's Avatar
    : Niobe
    ~Vicki~

Moving right along....

vroom! vroom!

All of that - buying something that big without telling me, not wearing a helmet, not caring what I think - is so far from how things work in my relationship that I have no idea what I'd do.

DH and I spent a couple of days in Fargo a few weeks ago and it was weird seeing people on motorcycles with no helmets. And also no protective gear. It's rare here to see someone on a bike, especially a crotch rocket, without a helmet and a leather jacket and jeans. In North Dakota I saw a young guy with runners, shorts and t-shirt and bareheaded on a Ninja. So weird. Obviously different riding cultures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL - good thing about the caveat because my first thought was "We have 2 kids in college and he's going out buying a motorcycle without telling me?!?! "

In the past as part of my job I handled some bike accidents (auto v. bike is never good) and had a particularly memorable claim in which our insured laid down his bike in the *gravel*. One of his legs was caught under the bike and dragged along until the bike came to rest. Debriding the wounds was a pretty horrible experience per the insured.

As such not wearing a helmet wouldn't go over well with me. I'd probably be a pita about.

I couldn't force him to do it but I would make it clear what I thought about it.
    Mom to Taylor (22), Katie (19), Ben (16) & Grace (13)

He can do whatever he wants, but my kids are never getting on it. I would also think he had lost his mind. That is so not DH. Even if he did completely change his personality and get a motorcycle, I can't even picture him not wearing a helmet. My best friend's brother died gruesomely right in front of us when I was pretty young. He was riding without a helmet. It was horrific. No motorcycles for me.

How timely! My husband and his friends have decided to buy motorcycles. He is taking the safety course over labor day weekend. He is also researching purchasing Kevlar clothing. My husband drives a tractor trailer, he has seen what happens to morons on motorcycles. It is not so cool to be helmetless anymore, when they are using a shovel to scoop up your brains from the accident scene, ya know?

In general if you have people who depend on you, you can put a farkin' helmet on your head and enjoy the freedom of the road...