Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Addiction and relationships

I think it would depend on just how unhappy it was making me and the rest of my family.
    Life is getting shorter and I want to spend more time being happy and less time being miserable.

I would give him time to get clean, but I would definitely set some boundaries and ultimatums.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaena View Post
    Yes, an active alcoholic who drunk to the point of black outs and inability to properly function, would need to be in treatment or they would not be welcome living WITH my children- but that is still a tough one if my kids were young because, if I were to separate I would then not have any control over the kids while they were with the alcoholic.
    Yes. My gut instinct would be to kick him out because of the kids. But at the same time, that could be problematic . . . because of the kids.

I can forgive A LOT you all know that but black out drunks scare the living hell out of me; the potential for violence is too high. I can't live on eggshells anymore so I think I'd leave. And if for some reason I stay, I would take the check book/debit card away from him and pay all the bills myself. Alcoholics and money is a potential for disaster.

I think I'd rather leave, and live in a studio apartment by myself and help him get sober from a distance and then consider moving back in.

Nope, not willing to fight through it. I've fought through a hella lot with this man and am happy to do so but alcoholism, never living through that again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know.

I did sign up for better or worse, and I take that pretty seriously.
    I don't have little kids at home, and that makes a big difference.
    I have a very close friend whose husband quite drinking as a condition of continuing their relationship. He did fall off the wagon, once, many years later, and they got through it. They are people who are both very dear to me, and I do think people can get through that.
    nesha ;-)

Down with the Tsar!
    Time to storm the Winter Palace...

If he were willing to get treatment - yes.

He's not going to go get treatment? Well it would be pretty interesting for me to stay given my job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimm View Post
    Wanna come over? I take Visa, MC, Discover, and Rocky Road.