Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kids and teethbrushing

Kids and teethbrushing

How on earth do I get my 12 yr olds to brush their teeth better? Their teeth are so gross and I have now banned all candy and sweets until I see an improvement. I refuse to put any more money into orthodontics until they take better care of their teeth.

They are ready for the 2nd round of braces but ds1 needs to lose 2 more baby teeth. He will actually wiggle and get them out. Ds2, however, will not touch them and has had to have dh remove most of his baby teeth when they are dangling and makes it a huge ordeal. He has 8 baby teeth the ortho wants out!! It is making it harder for him to brush because he has all these extra teeth and he refuses to touch them (it's got to be sore in there) and I am ticked about paying the dentist or oral surgeon to get them out because he won't wiggle those suckers. I can't even imagine how we would ever get him into an office to get them done, he will panic!!

Any wise words? Please.

Maybe some sort of sleep dentistry to get his remaining baby teeth out? I was also thinking you might want to supervise them as they're brushing their teeth, like we all did when they were little. I supervise my two when I suspect them of brushing their teeth for 30 seconds.

in the Bat cave avoiding the drama llamas
    When DD got her braces, they gave her a fancy Oral B electric toothbrush with a "smart guide." It looks like a little digital clock and it shows the four quadrants of your mouth. It times your brushing and it buzzes every 30 seconds when it's time to move to the next quadrant. She loves using it, but then we are a gadget-y family. The heads for the braces wearers are designed specifically for braces and are supposed to be super great.

It was so cool, we got one for DH and me (yes, you replace the heads so we could have just had one for the whole family, but she was feeling territorial about it). Now DD and I brush our teeth together. We try to sync our starting times so we're exactly the same. It's made it a little fun and her teeth are much, much cleaner.

If you didn't want to invest in the fancy ones, you could just get cheap electric brushes and a timer of some sort and have them brush at the same time.

Just an idea :)

My kids definitely love having fun kids' electric toothbrushes. My two youngest have Spider Man ones and my oldest has a proper Oral B. That and a lot of nagging is all I can do.

I'm not sure that I see the direct correlation between teeth hygiene and straightening/orthodontics. I mean, if they need the work done they need it done. Meanwhile, you've got to nag them to stay on top of the brushing. Good on you for cutting out sweets - it's a problem I have, as well. Not me personally (well, I sort of do but that's another thread) but I mean that my kids would happily just live on candy. And the amount available to kids today is sort of scary.
    I apologize for my previous signature.

I still have them turned off.

I think they do get something like that when they get their braces on, that would be really good for the boys because they sure aren't brushing that long now. We have tried timers and helping without much luck so far.

Wishes reality was like comic books tpatt100's Avatar
    We got our son a battery operated toothbrush, we want to get him using that and later we will move to the Sonicare ones for kids. We brush our teeth the same time he does but he's only 5, 12 year olds aren't going to be cool with that though.
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

Thankful for the tomorrows... Katrina's Avatar
    The best thing we did for our dd was show her what her teeth would look like if you don't care for your teeth while wearing braces. She is the brushing queen. :)

Get them the rinse that turns their teeth blue on the spots they miss while brushing. I understand not getting them braces until they can take care of their teeth. The damage that can happen with braces and no brushing is scary.

It sucks, but you are going to have to stand there and watch while they brush. You can't just do the timer and close the door. They will turn the brush on and not put it in their mouth.

The rinse, an electric spin brush with a timer and you watching. That is all you can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dharma View Post
    When DD got her braces, they gave her a fancy Oral B electric toothbrush with a "smart guide." It looks like a little digital clock and it shows the four quadrants of your mouth. It times your brushing and it buzzes every 30 seconds when it's time to move to the next quadrant. She loves using it, but then we are a gadget-y family. The heads for the braces wearers are designed specifically for braces and are supposed to be super great.

It was so cool, we got one for DH and me (yes, you replace the heads so we could have just had one for the whole family, but she was feeling territorial about it). Now DD and I brush our teeth together. We try to sync our starting times so we're exactly the same. It's made it a little fun and her teeth are much, much cleaner.

If you didn't want to invest in the fancy ones, you could just get cheap electric brushes and a timer of some sort and have them brush at the same time.

Just an idea :)
    That's a great idea. My son is 12 and is terrible about brushing his teeth. I get on him all the time about it. He also has braces, I they look just nasty sometimes.

You could always show them that video where they are pulling little worms out of someones gums.

We had to monitor T brushing her teeth. She would go to the effort of rubbing toothpaste on her tongue to make us think she was brushing. I like the idea of the toothbrush with the timer thing on it. Might be a little spendy to begin with but probably still cheaper than getting a filling.