Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kids and teethbrushing

Ok I just goggled "worms in gums"......
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

Quote Originally Posted by tpatt100 View Post
    Ok I just goggled "worms in gums"......
    Sorry.

in the Bat cave avoiding the drama llamas
    That was the most disturbing thing I've ever seen. I can't believe I watched that.

in the Bat cave avoiding the drama llamas
    Quote Originally Posted by tpatt100 View Post
    We got our son a battery operated toothbrush, we want to get him using that and later we will move to the Sonicare ones for kids. We brush our teeth the same time he does but he's only 5, 12 year olds aren't going to be cool with that though.
    You never know. My kid is 13. It's just one of our things we do together. :)

I looked for that Agent blue stuff yesterday, I don't think they make it anymore. I remember those pink tabs we chewed as kids that showed where teeth gunk was, do they make anything like those products anymore?

I am NOT googling worms, I think I would throw up. Ewww.

No groundhogs; just prairie dogs RobinAnn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
    I looked for that Agent blue stuff yesterday, I don't think they make it anymore. I remember those pink tabs we chewed as kids that showed where teeth gunk was, do they make anything like those products anymore?

I am NOT googling worms, I think I would throw up. Ewww.
    They make the red tabs. When I was having trouble with certain areas of my mouth, my hygienist gave me some.

Plus, you can buy anything on Amazon.

I don't have any advice, but my MIL loves to tell the story of when my DH was 11/12 and he would just wet his toothbrush. He has since grown out of it.

Were they late to get their teeth? My son was, so at 12 he still had a fair amount of baby teeth so we waited until he was older for the braces. We started when he was 13 because we wanted to capitalize on his growing but at first he just had brackets around the back top molars and braces on the front four upper teeth - with just a wire running to the brackets without being attached to anything. He got the bottom braces about 7 months later. He turned 14 in June and two weeks ago lost his final baby tooth . He goes back in September to get braces put on the teeth that don't currently have braces - but he still has teeth that haven't grown in enough to get braces.

He also won't wiggle lose teeth - although not brushing them isn't an option. If they're not ready I would just wait a bit. Once they stop physically growing braces aren't quite as fast - but there's nothing that says you have to get them too young either.

Any dentist can get you red tabs. There's called disclosing tablets. There is also liquid version called disclosing solution.

No braces till brush. It can seriously destroy things. And if your orthodontist is willing to put braces on a kid who doesn't brush then find a new orthodontist coz they shouldn't.

I tell kids the truth. Plaque (the stuff that turns red under disclosing solution) is bacteria excretions. It's bacteria poo. So all that red stuff is bug poop.

That usually gets the girls.

The boys I scrape off some plaque and let them smell it, then ask if they think anyone wants to kiss someone with breath that smells like poop. That usually gets the teen boys.

no braces please tho. Bad things happen.

NEVERtrump
    I would totally not put braces on a kid who isn't invested in his/her own dental care. We did that with dd, it was a constant battle, I felt like a shitty parent, and in the end she ditched her retainers and we wasted thousands of dollars. My younger kids will wait. It is not worth the hassle and money.
    “Saying John Lewis isn’t a man of action is like me saying: ‘Donald Trump is all tax returns, no tweets.’” Trevor Noah

Countdown the the End of An Error