Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kids and colds

in the Bat cave avoiding the drama llamas
    I don't medicate for fevers unless they are 101. The fever kills the virus. I've always done this, and I got validation from our pediatrician the last time I took DD in to see him.

99.5 is my threshold for going from "feeling icky" to "feeling like CRAP" so I don't let DD get above that either before I hit her with the fever meds. I know fever serves a purpose in healing, but for me there is something to be said for feeling comfortable too. Lots of rest, fluids, and as much food as the stomach will tolerate while the virus runs its course.

Glad he is back to feeling better and annoying you again. That's always the sure sign of a turnaround.
    "Wherever in the world much poverty is found, much religion is found also"

Wishes reality was like comic books tpatt100's Avatar
    Yeah we only gave ibuprofen when his fever got above 100, I asked our doctor about letting a fever do it's job and she said there were two schools of thought on that but she doesn't think it makes a difference so just medicate if he isn't comfortable. I figure if he's comfortable then don't waste the medicine.
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

99.5 is our threshold too; so I always gave medication when it hit that number.

But our basal temp is 97.3 so 99.5 is true fever.

I'd watch him Tpatt and if he redevelops this odd fever I would broach the subject of allergies with your ped.