Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kids and colds

Wishes reality was like comic books tpatt100's Avatar

Kids and colds

Our son has had a mild fever since Friday, it goes down when we give him ibuprofen but then goes back up when it wears off. He just wants to cuddle with mommy or daddy on the couch and watch Power Rangers all day. Wednesday I took him to the doctor because it seemed like this fever was running a bit long. Doctor says it seems like a really bad cold or maybe something viral and could take up to 7 days for his body to get over it.

Can't take him to daycare when he is sick so the wife and I alternated taking time off work to stay home with him.....

These are the times I wish we had relatives that lived nearby.
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

I understand that dilemma which is why I was a stay at home mom, my youngest always seemed to have something.

I hope he's better soon.

Yeah my wife has the awesome work benefits but I make the most money. There were many times I wished she could take a few years away from working.
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

If it's mild and he hasn't had previous problems with fevers in the past I would let it ride and do it's thing rather than medicating. Our kid has had issues with fevers so we tend to be fever treaters.

We had something like that go through here a while ago and it did take about 7-10 days to go away. It sucks.

In our house those mysterious fevers always showed up during allergy season Spring and Fall.

Tpatt does he have allergies? Have you tried giving him children's Claritin?

Erin (dd) has had something similar with Audrey. Then her coughing got worse, and the congestion was awful. She took her to the doctor yesterday, and it turns out she has an ear infection. It was heart-wrenching - When she coughed she'd say "ow ow ow" and then start to cry (she's not really talking yet).

Anyway, watch for throat or ear infections.

They both work, so on Tuesday her husband stayed home (he can do some work from home) and on Wednesday, she took the day off. On Thursday she went into work at 4:00 a.m. and left at 11 a.m. to get Audrey from the sitters and let her spend the afternoon in her own bed (she does sleep better at home - less going on).

Fantastic advice my doc gave me 30 years ago when the kids were little - go in a dark room with a flashlight and look in your child's throat when they are healthy. Then do it when they're sick - and you have a better idea what is there.
    I can't think of anything witty to say for my signature line.

Quote Originally Posted by gilamomster View Post
    In our house those mysterious fevers always showed up during allergy season Spring and Fall.

So true. That happens here, too. I will sometimes run a low grade fever for a month or so in April or May. The only time it has ever been anything but allergies was the time Matthew had a 99 degree fever for a month. I assumed allergies since I had taken him in countless times before that round and been told it was nothing. The one time I wait to go in, it turns out he had walking pneumonia.

Quote Originally Posted by gilamomster View Post

We don't know of any allergies, he seems better already and is back to annoying us when we are trying to watch a show on television. Just wish it didn't take what seems like forever to get over it.

Ann Landers

Sounds pretty normal for a virus Definitely annoying, though! Hugs!