Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A deep question

A deep question

I'm in the midst of some post chemo therapy. My therapist came up with a great question for me today and it really has me thinking.

How do you hope to be remembered? By your family? coworkers? friends?

Is it the same for all? Is there a difference?

How do you make that happen?

Honestly? I don't care except for my family. I hope they remember that I loved them and tried to make the best decisions I could in any interaction with them.

I don't care if anyone else remembers me.

"She was really funny, and a good ___________" (fill in the blank with whatever I was to them - mom, grandma, wife, friend, employee, boss....)

I'm not sure why "funny" is important or why I put it first - but it is and I did! I think it's part of wanting to be sure that people enjoyed my company.

How do I accomplish that? I don't know - just keep doing my best, I guess. Those are both very natural, inherent goals for me, not something I need to think about a lot. I'm not one for a lot of introspection. <- (laughing smiley, if they're not back yet)
    The definition of insanity in Texas is so insane that it's impossible to be insane in Texas. ~Malcolm McDowell

I've always said if you can't remember me with love and laughter then don't remember me at all.

My answer?

was the same for all most especially my family, friends and my patients.

That I cared.

I am struggling with the whole "what comes next" thing. I thought this was a great question. It made me think

Quote Originally Posted by gilamomster View Post
    I've always said if you can't remember me with love and laughter then don't remember me at all.
    I like that. I want to be remembered as someone who loved my family and did the best I could for them. I want my family to think of me and be happy.
    Kim

There's a boy here in town says he'll love me forever
    Who would have thought forever could be severed by
    The sharp knife of a short life
    ~The Band Perry

It's interesting you ask that because I was thinking just the other day how mindboggling it is that I know nothing about my family, just a few generations up. I was wondering, what was my great, great grandmother like? What were her hopes and dreams, likes and dislikes? What are our family stories? It was disheartening for me to realize that in a few generations my family won't likely even know my name, and yet my heart flutters at the idea of my children's grandchildren, wondering who they'll be and what they'll be like.

I mean, I know it can't be any other way really (dust in the wind), and I do realize that our anonymous influence can carry on and on, and that in and of itself is pretty phenomenal.

I suppose the the idea just made me feel pretty insignificant in the greater scheme of life.

So how do I want people to remember me? For those that will, I want to be remembered as a woman of integrity, will and determination, compassion and love.

Unrelentingly Oppositional Andrea's Avatar
    As a beacon of positivity, goodness, benevolence and light.

Stop laughing.

"When politics becomes a religion, then simple disagreements become apostasies, heresies. And you know what we do with heretics." -- Peggy Noonan

How do you hope to be remembered? By your family? coworkers? friends?

Is it the same for all? Is there a difference?

How do you make that happen?
    Positively, on all accounts. I could easily go into plenty of details, but it all boils down to just that one word: positively.

I hope people remember me as being nice, helpful, a good doctor and extraordinarily good looking. LOL!