Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Children's books, I need a recommendation!

I'm just here for the lulz. Sarsparilla's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mabel View Post
    I'm blanking on the name, it's a Siamese kitten that thinks he's a chihuahua... T has a bunch of those books, he lived them as a toddler and enjoyed them for years!
    Skippy Jon Jones. Super racist.
    Welcome to Fluffytown. No smoking, no farting, no pillow fights.

Unrelentingly Oppositional Andrea's Avatar
    As an Hispanic woman, Skippy Jon Jones didn't ruffle me. I didn't find the books racist. But, they're poorly written garbage. As a read-aloud, it's just awful garbled stumbling bumbling claptrap with no flow or rhythm, muddled plots and storylines that are difficult to follow what with adding -ito to the ends of words.

Example from the blog post Sars linked:

“Fossilitos, schmossilitos,” declared Poquito Tito, the smallest of the small ones. “We want to see los dinosaurios with our own ojos,” he said, pointing to his eyes. “¿Por qué? asked Skippito.
    “Because, Bobocito,” said Don Diego, the biggest of the small ones, “We hear they are reelly, reelly beeg, dude!”

See what I mean? Now read 37 pages of that out loud and see if you tongue doesn't call its union rep and institute a work stoppage. By the end of the book I wanted to stab myself in the eye with a butter knife.

"When politics becomes a religion, then simple disagreements become apostasies, heresies. And you know what we do with heretics." -- Peggy Noonan

See what I mean? Now read 37 pages of that out loud and see if you tongue doesn't call its union rep and institute a work stoppage. By the end of the book I wanted to stab myself in the eye with a butter knife.]
    Amen.
    I used to cringe when a kid would bring me one to read. Extremely hard to read aloud. About the only thing worse was Sheep on a Ship. I kept being worried I was going to slip up a word, lol.

I have a rather funny children's book story.

I was babysitting my grandsons Harrison & Cohen. (2&7) When it was time for bed, I asked Harrison to pick a story. He went to the bookshelf and came back with one called "Go The F**K To Sleep" by Adam Mansbach. If you look at the cover of the book, the UC are covered by the moon, so I didn't immediately clue in.

Well we snuggle up in bed and I start reading...

The cats nestle close to their kittens,
    The lambs have laid down with the sheep.
    You are cozy and warm in your bed, my dear.
    Please go the fuck to sleep.

The windows are dark in the town, child.
    The whales huddle down in the deep.
    I'll read you one very last book if you swear
    You'll go the fuck to sleep.

and so on.... I changed the words as I got to them, but later I told DS & his wife what happened. He says "Mom! That's not a children's book!" No kidding Son!
    I can't think of anything witty to say for my signature line.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarsparilla View Post
    Skippy Jon Jones. Super racist.
    Oh gracious, I admit to never having thought too deeply about it! My ds just really liked that it was a Siamese cat because that's what his grammy has, and thought it was funny he thought he was a puppy!
    Where to find me
    My Etsy Shop

The family all time favorites are The Grover monster book, and any of the Pigeon books, SO much fun to read aloud!

My kids loved I Love You Stinky Face. It's a fun book to read out loud.
    Kim

There's a boy here in town says he'll love me forever
    Who would have thought forever could be severed by
    The sharp knife of a short life
    ~The Band Perry