Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Washed and Waiting: the story of a gay Christian

I think s/he's the one who "loves someone enough" to shame them over their sexuality.

Quote Originally Posted by Dharma View Post
    Puddleglum, I'm curious as to what your education level is with regard to Christianity (i.e. self-taught, studied at such-and-such denomination church, religious degree from whatever institute of higher learning, etc) and what is your status (layperson, deacon, priest, pastor)? What kind of authority do you have to state what Christianity does or does not mean?
    I became a Christian as a result of listening to a radio program called Back to the Bible. Here is its website: http://www.backtothebible.org/

I have never attended a Bible college or seminary. I have learned about the Bible through studying it myself, through Christian radio programs, and by what I have been taught in the various churches I have attended. My status is that of layman. At times I have taught Sunday school but I have never been ordained. You can find out more about what I believe by reading my blog: https://clydeherrin.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny View Post
    No, he hasn't. He has used the religion as a panacea to help himself think he's ok with not being who he is and being celibate, because he's been told his whole life that he is broken/something is wrong with him. Guaranteed, this is a psychological placebo effect.
    All of us, whether we are gay or straight, are broken in some way because we have all sinned. The kinds of brokenness vary with different individuals. If we recognize and acknowledge our brokenness God can heal us.

Quote Originally Posted by faerymajick View Post
    I remember this poster's previous stint here. Let's just say that the poster is a religious fundamentalist. And based on at least one old thread, the poster must be mighty disturbed by the inevitability of the legalization of same-sex marriage.
    I am disturbed by the fact that we live in a culture which rejects God's standards of morality and encourages people to live lifestyles that will expose them to God's judgment. Straight people are told that there is nothing wrong with engaging is sexual activity with a person to whom they are not married. This is just as much a sin as same-sex activity. The legalization of same-sex marriage is only a small part of a much larger problem. The worst aspect of this problem is that churches often support this trend and encourage people to sin instead of warning them of the consequences.
    I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
    blog

Quote Originally Posted by puddleglum View Post
    If we recognize and acknowledge our brokenness God can heal us.
    You know, puddleglum, I've done this. You know what led me to finally self-identifying as first agnostic and now atheist? I was at my lowest and begged God for help. I would pray, and cry, for him to show me what I was supposed to do. And you know what I heard? *crickets* I finally decided I was going to live my life for me, not for some magic sky fairy anymore, and I've never been happier. It was a sense of relief that I felt when I came to that realization. I felt sadness, and sometimes still do, that what I had believed for so long - the majority of my life - did not turn out to be true, but RELIEF washed over me!

I still stumble and need support - human support - on occasion, but overall, my life is more full and I no longer live worrying if I'm doing the right thing according to God, or what God wants me to do, or any number of other things I used to fret over as a Christian.

So if your Christianity works for you, fine and dandy. But it's still bullshit to think it works that way for everyone. It doesn't. No matter how many times you say it. Not everyone gets healed by Your God. Not even if they recognize and acknowledge that they want it.

I am disturbed by the fact that we live in a society where people feel we are all broken and all sinners.

I'm disturbed by the idea of an all-powerful sky being peeping into people's bedrooms.
    I solemnly swear the words in this post are mine own, and not the work of any third party, corporeal or otherwise, unless they are quoted with citation.

All of us, whether we are gay or straight, are broken in some way because we have all sinned. The kinds of brokenness vary with different individuals. If we recognize and acknowledge our brokenness God can heal us.
    Nah, I'm good. :) No sky daddy needed.

nolite te bastardes carborundorum stellarfeller's Avatar
    All of us, whether we are gay or straight, are broken in some way because we have all sinned. The kinds of brokenness vary with different individuals. If we recognize and acknowledge our brokenness God can heal us..
    Oh, balls.
    Mornings are for coffee and contemplation
    -
    Chief Hopper, Stranger Things

I believe Christians could get more people to turn to God (religion) if there wasn't so much judgment and admonishment tied to it.
    If I am going to believe in a God then he needs to be more chilled.
    I realize that's not how religion works but it would be a good start.

Saddle up--we have a trail to blaze! Glorie's Avatar
    The sadz of it all is that Jesus will still love them even if they do the gay sex. :ohgod

Sorry, the emoticon choice these days is very limited.