Thread: Second novel by Harper Lee to be published this summer

Let's take a trip to the stars Steffy's Avatar

Second novel by Harper Lee to be published this summer

http://www.today.com/news/second-nov...mer-2D80471138

"To Kill a Mockingbird" will not be Harper Lee's only published book after all.

Publisher Harper announced Tuesday that "Go Set a Watchman," a novel the Pulitzer Prize-winning author completed in the 1950s and put aside, will be released July 14.

Rediscovered last fall, "Go Set a Watchman" is essentially a sequel to "To Kill a Mockingbird," although it was finished earlier. The 304-page book will be Lee's second, and the first new work in more than 50 years.

"The existence of 'Go Set a Watchman' was unknown until recently, and its discovery is an extraordinary gift," Harper publisher Jonathan Burnham said in a statement.

"To Kill a Mockingbird" is among the most beloved novels in history, with worldwide sales topping 40 million copies.

Suddenly, GRRM's time between releasing books doesn't look so bad.

This is very cool. I can't wait to read it.
    I solemnly swear the words in this post are mine own, and not the work of any third party, corporeal or otherwise, unless they are quoted with citation.

I am very excited to read this.

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post

I am very excited to read this.

My southern lit professor back in the day knew people close to her who have read it and say it is every bit as good as Mockingbird, but she swore she'd only release it posthumously because she hates publicity.. Vehemently. So I've been waiting for it to come out for over twenty years..

I hope this isn't the second book of a trilogy...

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie Beth View Post
    My southern lit professor back in the day knew people close to her who have read it and say it is every bit as good as Mockingbird, but she swore she'd only release it posthumously because she hates publicity.. Vehemently. So I've been waiting for it to come out for over twenty years..
    My concern is it is being released so soon after the death of her sister and "guardian". Jezebel link I cannot help but feel as if the reclusive Harper Lee would NOT have wanted this published while she was still alive (as has been publically alluded). There have been circumstances in the past where she has been taken advantage of due to her poor health, and I hate to think it is happening once more.

Well, it definitely isn't "recently discovered" as some have claimed and I'm sure Lee, in her current state, may believe. I think you're absolutely right about the timing.

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    My concern is it is being released so soon after the death of her sister and "guardian". Jezebel link I cannot help but feel as if the reclusive Harper Lee would NOT have wanted this published while she was still alive (as has been publically alluded). There have been circumstances in the past where she has been taken advantage of due to her poor health, and I hate to think it is happening once more.
    This concerns me, too.