Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If your child has SN and/or an IEP

If your child has SN and/or an IEP

How the hell do you organize your paperwork?

DS is 3 and was diagnosed with autism at 2. I have evaluations and paperwork from when he was 1 and was determined to just have a speech delay. I have the paperwork from when I pushed for an autism evaluation. I have all the in-between early intervention paperwork. I have various brochures/informational packets/flyers/business cards that people have given me. I have the names of many organizations dealing with many different aspects of ASD/SN/IEPs. I have paperwork from therapies. I have lots of paperwork from our pediatrician on his food allergies. I now have a giant stack of paper from our school district with his evaluations and IEP.

Uh. Help.

I was keeping things in folders, and then I started putting some things in sheet protectors in a big binder so I could flip through them easily. But I also have an ever-growing stack of papers that just need a neat, organized place to stay. I told DH that I wondered if I should just scan things and store them online, rather than keeping all the hard copies. But I'm never sure about that!

I'm still in the very early stages here, and I know some of you have been doing this for a while and are probably organizational rock stars. I would really appreciate any tips/advice/suggestions/websites to look at - anything!

Thank you!

nolite te bastardes carborundorum stellarfeller's Avatar
    Well, I still have hard copies of Richard's weekly and monthly behavioural therapy reports...from five to seven years ago So maybe I'm not the best to give advice! However, what I found useful is a big accordion file for each of my two guys, with labels for categories like school-IEP, school-report cards, school-speech therapy, medical, miscellaneous, etc. N addition to keeping the hard copies of their official diagnoses, I have also scanned those copies, so they are ready to be e-mailed if necessary, or to print off copies if I don't want to use the original for whatever I need.

I've learned to be fairly ruthless about weeding out paperwork that isn't so important any more - in your case, you probably don't need the stuff from when you thought your son only had a speech delay.
    Mornings are for coffee and contemplation
    -
    Chief Hopper, Stranger Things

Premier Sponsor
    I made duplicate binders--one for me and one to hand to each new physician to help them know where we'd been. Once we got passed preschool early intervention I started keeping IEP stuff in a file in the filing cabinet because it didn't seem to belong in the medical info binder any more.

I organized info by provider and then date, I think, though to be honest she made such amazing progress we ditched the medical binder years ago.
    "You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace."

Countdown the the End of An Error

Oh, another thing. As far as the brochures, business cards, etcetera, if you haven't needed to look at them for six months or a year, you likely won't need them, and can probably throw them out.
    -

Get a file cabinet! That's what we had to do. Also, I learned that we didn't have to keep every brochure and pamphlet. We are not the most organized people but it works. We just dedicated a file for different purposes. Neuro testing, school evaluations, general medical, etc.

It's BEN and Jerry, not GWEN and Jerry! Catamount's Avatar
    I am a terrible person, and I don't keep everything. :duck I have copies of diagnostic evaluations, IEPs for a year or two back, and a copy of their current personal care assistance budget, but that's about it. If I have to provide copies of documentation to an outside agency, I typically ask the school to fax it anyway, rather than finding a photocopier and paying to do it myself. We get all of our services through the school, though, so I'm not trying to pass a lot of items and assessments between providers. When I do, though, I ask them to do it. They have secretaries who are paid for that. I don't. They are 10 years old now, and I can't think of a single piece of paper that I wish I'd kept because I can't track it down any other way.

Let the judgement commence. :duck
    "Correlation doesn't imply causation, but it does waggle its eyebrows suggestively and gesture furtively while mouthing 'look over there.'"

We didn't keep everything either. Just relevant things. Now that he is out of school, voc rehab is helping him and I wish I would have saved a few different things or written down dates of specific things.

Oh, no judging here I've only kept certain things because I wouldn't be able to remember specific dates or timeframes any other way - also, for sentimental value I have a piece of paper on which I wrote down Daniel's new words and phrases when he started talking. I was keeping track of his language because of Richard's prior history; Richard didn't use spoken words until he was almost four, and Daniel started to talk at about 13 months old.
    -

It's BEN and Jerry, not GWEN and Jerry! Catamount's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andee View Post
    Now that he is out of school, voc rehab is helping him and I wish I would have saved a few different things or written down dates of specific things.
    Can you give me an example of something you wish you had kept? It's not too late for me to start keeping more things.
    "Correlation doesn't imply causation, but it does waggle its eyebrows suggestively and gesture furtively while mouthing 'look over there.'"

Truth be told, I don't keep any of it anymore. I tried to but found myself drowning. Now we read it, sign it and return it to the school. I don't need it in my house creating more stuff.