Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: You Need a Budget

I use my debit card for everything - he uses cash for everything. I could track my spending through the bank account no problem at all. Finding out what he spends his cash on might be more difficult, but maybe I could get him to give me his receipts.
    We're getting away with it all messed up
    Getting away with it all messed up
    That's the living

My in-laws carried tiny notebooks and wrote everything down.
    nesha ;-)

Down with the Tsar!
    Time to storm the Winter Palace...

It doesn't necessarily matter all that much what he's spending it on. Just make a budget category "Rael's Cash" and call it good. One of the pitfalls people make in budgeting is getting way too granular. I started out separating electric, internet, phones, rent, etc but now I have one big category called "Housing and Utilities." It's often good to be fairly specific at first, but don't narrow everything down so much that the budgeting part itself becomes stressful. The purpose of a budget is to tell your money where to go.

Sitting on the couch eating bon bons! Eli's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alice Chalmers View Post
    It doesn't necessarily matter all that much what he's spending it on. Just make a budget category "Rael's Cash" and call it good. One of the pitfalls people make in budgeting is getting way too granular. I started out separating electric, internet, phones, rent, etc but now I have one big category called "Housing and Utilities." It's often good to be fairly specific at first, but don't narrow everything down so much that the budgeting part itself becomes stressful. The purpose of a budget is to tell your money where to go.
    So glad you said this. I was going over all the budgeting categories and found myself getting really overwhelmed.

YNAB is starting up a referral program (they say it's being tested with some users but not all). So I have a referral link, and if anyone uses it to sign up (for the free trial and then subscribing after the 34 days or however long it is), they get a free month and I get a free month--in other words, the subscription is extended to 13 months instead of 12. There's no limit to how many referrals you can get.

So if anyone is interested, here's my link: https://ynab.com/referral/?ref=cvsys...tomer_referral

Although if some of the people who posted earlier in this thread have referral links as well, you should use theirs instead of mine, because they're why I decided to try YNAB. :)

No referral link here, just wanted to say I still love YNAB. I'm still using the old version, though a new version of the old version is updating on my phone and is still stuck. Hopefully that will be fixed (my Kindle app is doing the same thing). While I like having a smart phone, I'd still use the desktop YNAB if I didn't have it.

My app is working again. I still haven't upgraded to the new YNAB. Wondering if anyone else has?

Quote Originally Posted by Alice Chalmers View Post
    My app is working again. I still haven't upgraded to the new YNAB. Wondering if anyone else has?
    Upgraded? Yes, I've been on nYNAB since January. I love it. I hadn't been on the old YNAB for too terribly long, so it wasn't a huge adjustment for me. From others that have been on YNAB4 for longer, the lack of red arrow, only seeing one month at a time, and the way credit cards are handled seem to be the biggest things they have to adjust to.

I love, love, love YNAB though. We've paid off all consumer debt (again!). It's really helped us adjust to me being a consultant and having extremely variable income. YNAB has been an important tool in our financial life.

Wishes reality was like comic books tpatt100's Avatar
    We upgraded a while ago, I wanted to get off using Dropbox as our method of shared syncing because I remembered that Dropbox was supposed to make some changes to their API.

After the change YNAB released an update to accommodate the changes to Dropbox so at least from that perspective you are safe for a while.

They made changes to the phone and tablet apps last week. They upgraded the app and now you can create budgets through the app instead of using the web browser or desktop application.

The only thing I miss from the original YNAB is the reporting by payee feature. The reporting in the new app is way behind the old app's reporting feature.
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

Quote Originally Posted by tpatt100 View Post
    The only thing I miss from the original YNAB is the reporting by payee feature. The reporting in the new app is way behind the old app's reporting feature.
    I think this will be coming - and probably not too long. They released payee management a couple of weeks ago. I'd imagine that reporting by payee wasn't useful if you couldn't edit/manage the payees.