Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: You Need a Budget

I am looking at this and I am wondering if it's worth $50 a year? Right now I am using Dave Ramsey's method, but until I start getting a regular paycheck again, it's a bit difficult. I also am really trying to cut back on expenses. I cancelled my Ipsy, Amazon Kindle Unlimited, and Planet Fitness membership to use that towards my snowball. So I'm kind of hoping there may be something similar to YNAB that's free.

I want to try Every Dollar

I downloaded a trial version of it before and couldn't figure it out.

I use an Excel spreadsheet but it's not really a budget. It's a checkbook balance/register.

i NEED a budget!

Me too, Sprocket. It was a pita.

Quote Originally Posted by jen View Post
    I want to try Every Dollar
    I started YNAB before EveryDollar was available.. But, I wanted to go ahead and try it anyway. I paid for a year of ED and got YNAB for free as a student (then paid for it when they transitioned from YNAB4 to nYNAB) and gave them both a really good side-by-side try.

I like YNAB so, so much more. YNAB is much more flexible than ED. YNAB acts as both a checkbook register and budget tracker, which I prefer. I can import with YNAB for the basic fee and, while the basic ED is free, you have to pay double the cost of YNAB to import in ED. I budget bi-weekly as my paychecks actually come in and that workflow is much nicer in YNAB than ED.

I really like Dave Ramsey's methods, but I find YNAB's philosophy of only budgeting exactly what you have in your account(s) - rather than forecasting your whole month like DR advocates - to be a much better philosophy for us. So, we do a hybrid of DR and YNAB philosophies, but I use YNAB software to manage our finances.

All that said, ED is free without the importing functionality, so it's worth a try. There are several 3 month free trial of YNAB links out there (here's one ) so you could try both and see what you prefer for your workflow.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprockey View Post
    I downloaded a trial version of it before and couldn't figure it out.

I use an Excel spreadsheet but it's not really a budget. It's a checkbook balance/register.

i NEED a budget!
    Quote Originally Posted by jen View Post
    Me too, Sprocket. It was a pita.
    I think it helped that YNAB was what I was trying to do with my spreadsheet already anyway. There is a learning curve, for sure, but once you get past it, it's pretty simple.

I'd be happy to help anyone that wanted to try it again if they have questions.

I don't have the new YNAB so I really can't speak to whether the new version with the importing is worth $50/year. I have the old version and enter everything manually, which is not something I mind.

The biggest advice I can offer when using YNAB is to watch the videos on how to set it up. It made no sense at all to me until I just did what they said and THEN it became clear, and now I absolutely love it.

nolite te bastardes carborundorum stellarfeller's Avatar
    I've mentioned before that I follow Gail Vaz-Oxlade. She's Canadian, but her money-management principles can be used by anybody, really. The best suggestion of hers that I've followed is to track your expenses for three to six months (the longer the better) and see where your money is going. Once you have a good handle on that, you can see where expenses can be cut.

I have a spreadsheet on which I track everything that we spend, except for what my husband spends cash on. Everything, including bank service charges, CC interest, parking fees, etc.

Here's a link to a page on Gail's website that has some useful downloads (budget spreadsheet, spending analysis, net worth analysis, etc). http://gailvazoxlade.com/resources.html
    Mornings are for coffee and contemplation
    -
    Chief Hopper, Stranger Things

The first thing we did, back in the day was track every expense religiously for 3 months. That alone opened my eyes to how much money wasted that could be saved

Wishes reality was like comic books tpatt100's Avatar
    We will eventually move to the new YNAB once it reaches feature parity with the old version. I think it's still missing reporting which I use every month to check how we did each month.

It's helped us a lot when it comes to saving money for projects or emergencies
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers