Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Grocery spending 2014

The app for the store I shop at the most says we're just shy of $600 for this month, which includes cleaners/toiletries. I've spent about $60 at the one whose produce I prefer.
    "Wherever in the world much poverty is found, much religion is found also"

It seems I might have been in denial. I just did a very unscientific add up and just from what I have recorded, I spent 10,130 on food in the last year. That's $844 a month. I estimated 6 to 7 hundred.

$844 does not seem so bad until I remembered that I did a lot of my shopping with cash last year, so I am thinking I am probably over 1K per month. Who knew?

No groundhogs; just prairie dogs RobinAnn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimm View Post
    It seems I might have been in denial. I just did a very unscientific add up and just from what I have recorded, I spent 10,130 on food in the last year. That's $844 a month. I estimated 6 to 7 hundred.

$844 does not seem so bad until I remembered that I did a lot of my shopping with cash last year, so I am thinking I am probably over 1K per month. Who knew?
    Not directed at you, but I was thinking this would be true for people who "estimate" their spending.

Quicken tells me we spent $745/month on groceries, $132/month on liquor, and $160/month on dining out. The liquor and dining are okay, but the groceries!!!!! :no :oh

The only thing I can say is that some of the food went to the food bank and some of my waste goes to the chickens! (My totals include cleaning supplies, paper goods, and other odds and ends you might buy at the grocery store, if I don't subtract funds out if I think of it.) I'm a sucker for some of the deals on Amazon!

The chickens and pets have their own budgets.

I used to be so detailed in my record keeping for our grocery shopping. I had a price book where I tracked sales and what I paid for pretty much everything. When the kids were little and I was a sahm money was tight. I knew to the penny what a meal cost me to make. I had recipes that were linked to grocery lists that were linked to my price book. I was almost always within $1 to $2 of what I'd planned on spending at the grocery store.

The kids and I don't like to eat the same foods and since I work until 8:15ish 5 nights a week they do their own shopping and cooking. On my days off I prep everything for me to eat for the next week. I try to get all the produce for the week on Saturday mornings at the local farmers market. I've been trying to only buy what's in season and so far that has worked.

This year I am going to grow my own tomatoes and peppers and green beans. I have some garlic in a pot in the house for now and a guy at work is bringing me some cuttings so I can plant some herbs. He's also trying to convince me to try planting some potatoes. He swears I can grow some in a large pot. Everything I'm planning on growing needs to be in pots so I can move them with us when we move out of this place when the baby arrives.

I'm really excited about growing some of my own stuff, not so much to save money but just for the freshness and satisfaction of doing it