Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Choice of Schools?

Wishes reality was like comic books tpatt100's Avatar
    Yeah found out the STEM school doesn't have kindergarten so he would have to go to another and then transfer. Bishop with it's mixing of kids ages would be more suitable because we held our son back a year so he might be in the same class as his friends from daycare who would be starting the first grade.

That sucks Tpatt. So Bishop with its Spanish Immersion program then? Sounds promising.

It's BEN and Jerry, not GWEN and Jerry! Catamount's Avatar
    As a school PT I've had the chance to be a 'fly on the wall' in a lot of different classrooms and a lot of different schools. I think the 'feel' of a school is almost as important as the resources. If I recall, your son had some early intervention. Does he still have a wide range of skills (some ahead of his peers and some behind?) I think a multi-age classroom is a good placement for kids like that. My kids have that profile, and are in a multi-age classroom for the first time this year and it's been fabulous for them. I'd recommend a classroom observation and also a chance to see recess, which I think can give you a good sense of the social scene in a school. How many kids are wandering around alone? How are the adults dealing with any inappropriate behaviors? Are there attempts to organize activities that will include more kids? What happens when a kid tries to join a group? In my experience, schools where recess is successful for most kids are schools where most kids are happy and doing well.
    "Correlation doesn't imply causation, but it does waggle its eyebrows suggestively and gesture furtively while mouthing 'look over there.'"