Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choice of Schools?

Wishes reality was like comic books tpatt100's Avatar

Choice of Schools?

I didn't know this stuff happens, I thought you just go to the school in your area. My son's teacher scheduled a parent/teacher progress meeting next week and she asked us to look at the three schools my son has a choice in attending next year. So I went to their websites and see the following:

Bishop Elementary has a multi-age learning environment utilizing the High/Scope model of curriculum delivery. At Bishop, different aged students are combined into the same classrooms which are divided into grade-level houses; Lower (K-1), Middle (2-3), and Upper (4-5). Students have the opportunity to mentor younger students and be mentored by older students.

The High/Scope model of instruction focuses on self-directed learning and responsibility. The daily schedule is designed to accommodate individual needs and interests.

SPANISH IMMERSION
    Students in Spanish Immersion are taught the identical curriculum, however, the classroom language is Spanish. English is introduced later, allowing students to leave elementary school at grade level in two
    languages.

Lincolnís Spanish Immersion program is the only program of its kind in Washtenaw County and one of the few language immersion programs in Michigan. It is housed in Bishop Elementary and utilizes the High/Scope model of curriculum delivery.
    Brick Elementary is a Washtenaw County Historic Landmark that at one time housed the entire student body of Lincoln Consolidated Schools. Now, elementary students benefit from a curriculum focused on Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM). STEM instruction incorporates all four of these disciplines into all aspects of the elementary curriculum.
    Childs Elementary is a true community school and follows a community-inclusive approach to elementary education. This is accomplished through the educatorsí collaborative approach to teaching, a strong parent organization, and even the layout and construction of the building.

The Childs student body is primarily comprised of children from the Amberly Grove, Millpointe, Greene Farms, Lincoln Pines, and Whittaker Village neighborhoods, however, any family in the District may choose to attend Childs, based on space availability.
    I'm trying not to be biased but it might be obvious which one I might be looking at more closely. I am not really sure what I should be looking for information wise though......

It depends where you are - here, there are local school districts, and if you live in the district, you can go to that school. There are magnet schools available - not sure what state you live in, but in CT, they are a specific response to the Sheff vs. O'Neill lawsuit because our schools are de facto segregated because of economic issues - they bring together kids from the central city with kids from the suburbs for specific things.

I would say think about your son, what he might respond to, whether any services he might need are available in that school, the transit requirements, etc. If the schools have open houses, go visit them and see what the facilities are like. Our magnet schools are pretty schmancy compared to some of the old neighborhood elementary schools.

Yeah I think I am going to make a spreadsheet and document this stuff. All three are within five minutes of our house.

Well, now I know where you are.

Who do you know with kids in those schools? I'd want personal recommendations.

What do you think he would be interested in? Not that I think that should be the be all and end all at the elementary level.

I like multi aged classrooms, personally, given that I teach in a school organized that way, and I've always heard good things about High/Scope.

If you are at interested in the Spanish immersion program, best to get into that immediately, because it's hard to catch up later.
    nesha ;-)

Down with the Tsar!
    Time to storm the Winter Palace...

Oh, and what I told Eric and Jamie this afternoon - make an appointment to go visit the schools. Theory is a fine thing, but you want to actually see that kindergarten class in action to decide where your little guy will fit the best.
    nesha ;-)

Down with the Tsar!

Let's take a trip to the stars Steffy's Avatar
    Um if you want the elementary school names edited out, just say so...

(The middle one sounds promising)

As soon as it says Washtenaw County and High/Scope, I could drive there in my sleep. Or, I guess dh could.

We lived there for 6 years, and then dd went to college there.
    nesha ;-)

Down with the Tsar!

Premier Sponsor
    Do drop in on the programs and see them in action. It will give you a feel for the environment so you can find one you feel will best match your family.
    "You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace."

Countdown the the End of An Error

Quote Originally Posted by justthinking View Post
    Do drop in on the programs and see them in action. It will give you a feel for the environment so you can find one you feel will best match your family.
    My wife already contacted one school for us to check it out
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

My knee jerk reaction is to send him to the STEM one. Although the high/scope sounds interesting.