Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Playstation/Xerox (autocorrect of XBox) etc rationing

I am hopeful that he's learned his lesson and matured in the past 8 months. If not, I can take it off him. It really is very cheap.
    I apologize for my previous signature.

I still have them turned off.

The future needs a big kiss Sam's Avatar
    Oh ok, 8 months is a lot different than the three I thought it was

We have a Playstation and an XBox, both gifts from my dad. The boys always played multi-player games, or took turns. It seemed to work fine. Extra controllers are great for when they have friends over, as are any games that can go up to 4-player.

I don't ration. They play when they feel like it. If they are fighting over it, I make them set a timer (for an hour at a time) and take turns.

in the Bat cave avoiding the drama llamas
    I added the Xbox to the title, but kept the Xerox because that's just funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Oh ok, 8 months is a lot different than the three I thought it was
    It will be about that long by Christmas.

In the meantime, Henry will get his Kindle Fire for his birthday in early December. Jack will look at that and make noises about wanting one, too, and I will reiterate for the eleventy-thousandth time that Santa is probably very disappointed in him regarding the laptop... this has been an ongoing lesson ever since he tearfully watched me take his laptop to the recycling centre/dump.

I also think we could have done more to prevent that episode. He was getting frustrated with it being slow/freezing/crashing (which was to be expected as it was a VERY old laptop) and we should have been more proactive in helping him manage his frustration at the time. This time we know that if he starts getting frustrated with any device we should be quicker to step in and see if we can help and/or counsel patience.

The warranty specifically allows for utterly stupid damage (it actually says things about dogs chewing them up or dropping them into water) so if he breaks it through carelessness, I can still get it replaced and then withhold if necessary.

One great thing about these gadgets is it gives you something to ground them from.

My boys have an extraordinary knack for finding dumb shit to fight about... like who gets to sit right next to me on the couch.

It's a competitiveness thing, really. And while removing potential bottlenecks/sources of conflict is necessary, I wouldn't put it past them (especially Henry) to deliberately choose to play a game that doesn't allow for multiplayer or that the others don't like as much. I'm probably going to have to implement some sort of byzantine system where each day a different kid gets first go on the PS, and then set a timer for taking turns.