Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playstation/Xerox (autocorrect of XBox) etc rationing

Playstation/Xerox (autocorrect of XBox) etc rationing

We live in a row house on a busy road with no garden, so my kids can't play outside. Anyway, for Christmas, they're getting a Playstation. How should it be rationed sensibly?

The oldest has a laptop and the middle is getting a tablet, but the youngest has neither. So I also want to be sure that they all have a fair shot at playing it.

I'm thinking that a rota by day for who's turn it is may be one way. I was wondering what other parents with more than one kid do. We've never owned any sort of game system before.
    I apologize for my previous signature.

I still have them turned off.

The future needs a big kiss Sam's Avatar
    I let mine argue it out between themselves

They often play two player and one switches every time so they all get a turn. Sometimes they argue about it but I feel it is important to not step in and let them work it out and it ends up with them all getting their turn in the end.

Wishes reality was like comic books tpatt100's Avatar
    Buy an extra controller and games that support multi player
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

Quote Originally Posted by tpatt100 View Post
    Buy an extra controller and games that support multi player
    I've done that - three controllers and at least a couple of the games definitely support multiplayer.

nolite te bastardes carborundorum stellarfeller's Avatar
    You bought them a photocopy machine for Christmas? They're gonna love that!

:D
    Mornings are for coffee and contemplation
    -
    Chief Hopper, Stranger Things

I just noticed that xbox autocorrected to xerox.

I talked to David and we decided to go ahead and get Jack a small Kindle Fire, so he'll have a tablet as well. They're very cheap now and you can buy a coverage for stupid breakages cheap, too. He had a very old laptop until he stomped on it in anger a few months ago. (Henry's just died due to innocent clumsiness) and he's had several months to ponder (with the help of my reiterated scoldings) the error of his actions. So, if they all have laptops or tablets, that ought to reduce conflict.

David has done something to the router so that my eldest can only go online at certain hours. The Fires have great parental control where you can set similar things.

Well, the rule in my house was that the game system belonged to *me*. It was for the family to share, but it was *mine* and if people got nasty and selfish about it, then I stepped in.

However, the girls mostly liked multiplayer racing games, Zelda and Animal Crossing, and there wasn't much arguing about it.
    nesha ;-)

Down with the Tsar!
    Time to storm the Winter Palace...

Quote Originally Posted by WQ View Post
    I talked to David and we decided to go ahead and get Jack a small Kindle Fire, so he'll have a tablet as well. They're very cheap now and you can buy a coverage for stupid breakages cheap, too. He had a very old laptop until he stomped on it in anger a few months ago. (Henry's just died due to innocent clumsiness) and he's had several months to ponder (with the help of my reiterated scoldings) the error of his actions. So, if they all have laptops or tablets, that ought to reduce conflict.

David has done something to the router so that my eldest can only go online at certain hours. The Fires have great parental control where you can set similar things.
    If he lost access only a few months ago because he stomped on a laptop in anger, nwih would I buy him new technology in such a short time.

The future needs a big kiss Sam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jen View Post
    If he lost access only a few months ago because he stomped on a laptop in anger, nwih would I buy him new technology in such a short time.
    I agree with this.

A child who can't respect things won't get more things of that kind until they can prove they can not take out their anger on objects. For me it would take longer than a few months.