Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sports Parents

This is a school team? Huh. In all of the schools we've played, in various sports, the modified (seventh and eighth grade) teams require mostly equal playing time for everyone on the team. If they're not going to be allowed to play, they are cut from the team. And the coaches I know endorse this with the rationale that there is a wide range of development at that age level, and if you underplay someone that might actually turn out to be very good (when they are older and more mature), you are thwarting their development as a player.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonadonna View Post
    This is a school team? Huh. In all of the schools we've played, in various sports, the modified (seventh and eighth grade) teams require mostly equal playing time for everyone on the team. If they're not going to be allowed to play, they are cut from the team. And the coaches I know endorse this with the rationale that there is a wide range of development at that age level, and if you underplay someone that might actually turn out to be very good (when they are older and more mature), you are thwarting their development as a player.
    That's how it was handled in 7th grade, and the girls played 100 times better. The same core group of girls that was on the 7th grade team is on the 8th grade team, but only 6 of them play. Also, them not getting the rotation? I blame that on the coach. It seems to me the evidence is clear given that they won 0 games last year, she's not good at motivating or teaching the rotation.

I'm just pissed for my DD as she can be really sensitive and has to work to not let criticism bother her. The coach asked her if she was ready to play back row, and DD said, "I guess so." The coach said, "That's not good enough" and walked away from her. She asked again at another game, and DD is so scared of playing now she said no. Mostly because she doesn't feel she knows the routine. Which is really sad because she's great at the basic skill set. She needs work on where to be and when, which is hard to get when sitting on the bench.

That "coach" is horrible. Really really horrible. :gg