Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft buys Mojang, makers of Minecraft

boring prudish virtue signaler stellarfeller's Avatar

Microsoft buys Mojang, makers of Minecraft

Wow!

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/sep/15/microsoft-buys-minecraft-creator-mojang-for-25bn

Minecraft creator Mojang is being sold to Microsoft, the studio has confirmed. According to a statement released by the Swedish developer on Monday afternoon, the purchase price is $2.5bn.

Mojang spokesman Owen Hill and Microsoft have separately sought to reassure fans of the multimillion selling building sim that work on the game will continue unaffected.

In the statement, Hill suggested that the pressure of running the company, which generated $326m in revenue last year, became too much for the founders, Markus Persson (known by his username, Notch), Carl Manneh and Jakob Porser. All are leaving the company.
    Mornings are for coffee and contemplation
    -
    Chief Hopper, Stranger Things

Oh, that went SO well for Rare.
    I solemnly swear the words in this post are mine own, and not the work of any third party, corporeal or otherwise, unless they are quoted with citation.

What a dumb deal for MS. Amazing deal for the Mojang guys.

Yeah the brand is extremely big, the founders just want to take their pile of cash and start something else without all of the attention and responsibilities. Microsoft probably wants to throw money at the mobile version since that made up almost half of all sales.

Microsoft wants Minecraft for Windows Phone, sources say

Hey Microsoft, Acquiring a Hit Game is Stupid

Buying a game company is like buying an aging baseball player. Youíll need a miracle to get another hit. And while they might have plenty of fans, they probably arenít making a lot of new ones.
    Have we learned nothing from Zynga, Rovio, King and Dong?
    And then there was Flappy Bird. If ever there was proof that the modern gaming industry is an unpredictable beast as likely to buck you off and kick you in the face as take you for a ride, it was Dong Nguyenís creation. While other gaming companies with hundreds of employees and tens or hundreds of millions in funding desperately tried to build an addictive game, a single man with no funding from Vietnam captured the hearts and expletives of the whole world. No viral loops. No fancy graphics. No smarmy in-app purchases to squeeze money out of users. Just a game so frustrating it was fun.

Iím leaving Mojang

I donít see myself as a real game developer. I make games because itís fun, and because I love games and I love to program, but I donít make games with the intention of them becoming huge hits, and I donít try to change the world. Minecraft certainly became a huge hit, and people are telling me itís changed games. I never meant for it to do either. Itís certainly flattering, and to gradually get thrust into some kind of public spotlight is interesting.

A relatively long time ago, I decided to step down from Minecraft development. Jens was the perfect person to take over leading it, and I wanted to try to do new things. At first, I failed by trying to make something big again, but since I decided to just stick to small prototypes and interesting challenges, Iíve had so much fun with work. I wasnít exactly sure how I fit into Mojang where people did actual work, but since people said I was important for the culture, I stayed.

I was at home with a bad cold a couple of weeks ago when the internet exploded with hate against me over some kind of EULA situation that I had nothing to do with. I was confused. I didnít understand. I tweeted this in frustration. Later on, I watched the This is Phil Fish video on YouTube and started to realize I didnít have the connection to my fans I thought I had. Iíve become a symbol. I donít want to be a symbol, responsible for something huge that I donít understand, that I donít want to work on, that keeps coming back to me. Iím not an entrepreneur. Iím not a CEO. Iím a nerdy computer programmer who likes to have opinions on Twitter.

As soon as this deal is finalized, I will leave Mojang and go back to doing Ludum Dares and small web experiments. If I ever accidentally make something that seems to gain traction, Iíll probably abandon it immediately.

Considering the public image of me already is a bit skewed, I donít expect to get away from negative comments by doing this, but at least now I wonít feel a responsibility to read them.

Iím aware this goes against a lot of what Iíve said in public. I have no good response to that. Iím also aware a lot of you were using me as a symbol of some perceived struggle. Iím not. Iím a person, and Iím right there struggling with you.

I love you. All of you. Thank you for turning Minecraft into what it has become, but there are too many of you, and I canít be responsible for something this big. In one sense, it belongs to Microsoft now. In a much bigger sense, itís belonged to all of you for a long time, and that will never change.

Itís not about the money. Itís about my sanity.
    I think I can keep sane with only a few million lol

I think 2.5 billion seems a little light for a property like Minecraft.

The game already peaked a while ago, it's popular but the primary money maker is the console and mobile versions because they can sell things like block textures and character skins which they don't on the PC.

Of course I bought the PS4 version for 4.99 when I upgraded to the PS4 and I am playing that more than Destiny which I bought soon after lol....

Well now we know where some of the money went :)

Minecraft creator outbids Jay-Z, buys priciest home in Beverly Hills

If you need yet another sign that the game industry is a serious business force and that game creators are the new entertainment moguls, look no further than the newest purchase by Minecraft creator Markus "Notch" Persson. The Mojang cofounder, who cashed out of the company after a $2.5 billion Microsoft buyout in September, just set a record for a Beverly Hills real estate purchase by laying down $70 million on a mansion in the Trousdale Estates neighborhood.

As reported by Curbed LA, the 23,000-square-foot residence features "a candy room, a car showroom, vodka and tequila bars, a 54-foot curved glass door that opens onto the pool, eight bedrooms, 15 bathrooms, apartment-sized closets, and a movie theater." Oh, and let's not forget the "three high-definition 90-inch television screens [that] bring panoramic views of Los Angeles from the roof into the down stairs lounge." the $5,600 toilets in each bathroom, and the cases of Dom Perignon that were reportedly part of the deal. There are tons of pictures and video of the ridiculous residence over at its official listing website.

ď[Persson] fell in love with the house, its sleek contemporary design, and its spectacular panoramic views that sweep from downtown LA to the Pacific Ocean,Ē Aaroe Group agent Katia De Los Reyes, who helped represent Persson in the sale, said in a statement. ďThe fact that the house also was completely furnished in such great style was another major selling point for him.Ē

Last night, Persson tweeted a picture showing him putting his feet up in the "candy room" of the palatial estate, though he later mentioned that the giant tubes of sweet candies were "the only thing I don't like eating. But it looks cool?" The tweet prompted a few of Notch's followers to post their own gently mocking pictures with their feet reclining in their own, much more cramped quarters.

boring prudish virtue signaler stellarfeller's Avatar
    Mine makes the ninth post in this thread, and it has something like 27,000 views
    Mornings are for coffee and contemplation
    -
    Chief Hopper, Stranger Things